Status
Not open for further replies.

Mental

Customer
Hi

When using the mod vFcoders - Advanced Report System with dbseo it causes any reported topics to be automatically deleted. I've just had to find out the hard way by people abusing the report bug. You can get the plugin here; vFcoders - Advanced Report System - vBulletin.org Forum

Real time scenario:

Someone posts topic
person reports topic/post
person inputs message (clicks check box)
report is submitted

topic/thread = deleted (content blank).

Regards.

I am unable to replicate this issue. I tried with both the quick form and the full form, using the exact steps you provided, and the issue you describe does not occur for me.

Considering you will not grant me the required access to debug this & your showpost issue, I am unsure of how to proceed. If there are any alternate delivery methods to forum PM like https://www.sendinc.com/ that you would be willing to use to provide me with the required details, then that would be acceptable so long as it does not cost us money to sign up & use.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Administrator access is not enough, I will need either FTP or SFTP over SSH access as well, if you would like me to look into this issue on your site.

the admin panel i gave you is a standard 4.2 install w/ my bugged style i mentioned in the pm plus several activated plugins only and just your dbseo uploaded, its essentially default. If you export thestyle i mentioned and uploaded it to your test board you'll also see the bug. I tested on 4.1 and 4.2 and both times it truncated the post using that style.

turns out its happening without that mod enabled, may be a conflict else where with my style and dbseo, ill have to check further.
#update
findings so far;

dbseo on - forum off = reported thread = safe.
dbseo on - forum on = reported thread = deleted.
dbseo off - forum off = reported thread = safe.
dbseo off - forum on = reported thread = safe

#update 2

appears to be related to xcache and memory issues, when memory appears to be sparse with dbseo any reported content gets truncated.

#update 3

right, maybe not xcache... hmmm.

Last edited:
upgraded to 4.2.2 with a duplcate db, spent hours sorting, arranging and everything... same issues remaiN!!!!

From your own tests, and my own, it seems impossible to replicate outside your forum.

I'm not sure what I can say or do, considering what I've said previously. My offer still stands :)

sent you account credentials. Basically, go to any thread and report it and refresh, should delete. if a report was already made on it first without it deleting then you'll need to do another report on another post.

Yeah, I'll be looking at it shortly, I've had another few issues to look at prior to this :)

Fixed :)

To fix it on your live site, open /dbtech/dbseo/hooks/postdata_presave.php and find
PHP:
	// Shorthand
	$message = $this->fetch_field('pagetext');

Add below
PHP:
	if (!$message)
	{
		// Report stuff
		break;
	}

I left your debug site in a non-working state for reports, but I confirmed by observing the query that caused the blanking of the post that the issue was handled by making the above change :)

The reason we couldn't replicate it on this site was that it only happens if reported posts create a new thread, vs. generating administrator emails as it does on this site.

What happens when you report a post and a thread is generated is that vBulletin will update the post table with the reported thread ID for that specific post, so as to avoid creating multiple threads if multiple users report the same post.
They achieve this by using a specific set of flags to the Data Manager for Posts that tells it to override otherwise required fields (such as pagetext) and accept the update parameters as-is.
Presumably, they do this to avoid having to query the post table for the full post info, which can be an expensive process.

Something new was learned this day :)

its always good to learn something new, appreciated. How come it was conflicting with dbseo though?

Because DBSEO hooks into the Data Manager for Posts - I had previously assumed it was only used for "normal" posting / editing - in order to convert internal URLs to SEO'd URLs and add redirects & tracking to external URLs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.