Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenacious D

Customer
Both myself and several site members have noticed some odd behavior with the "Random Questions" mod, since installing it a few days ago. They are:

1. When selecting, "Specific Member" from the drop-down list in the navbar, the search box appears as expected - but when you enter a name, seemingly any name - it always returns the error, "Invalid User Specified - Please go back". This despite the fact that the name is entered "as-is" from the user's profile, meaning, with the exact spacing / capitalization, etc.

2. A similar error occurs when selecting, "Random Online User" - except the "question box" does appear, and with the name of the randomly selected participant at the top of the screen (the person to whom you are answering the question, and who will receive the answer). However, once you answer the question and click, "Submit" it often (app. 50% of the time, but its really intermittent) provides the same "Invalid User Specified" error which I previously mentioned, above.

3. After clicking "Submit" the screen fades as expected, but there is no way to move to the next question without re-introducing the process anew, from the navbar. Simply, a new question doesn't automatically appear, in fact, the area of the screen where the previously answered question resided simply remains blank until you exit that screen, or click "Random Questions" again. Perhaps this works as intended, but even if so, it's confusing to the members after submitting an answer and find themselves staring at a blank screen - with no indication that the previously submitted answer has been successfully completed, and with no indication as to how to then proceed.

4. One member has complained with some difficulties regarding her "Notifications" button (it shows that she has "7 New Questions" (or what have you) - but when she clicks it, it goes nowhere and is blank). Also, she has complained that the "Random Question" tab of her profile page is blank (it doesn't show anything - including the 7 items which appeared in her notification drop-down, and the absence of all questions which she has already asked / answered (it just shows a blank area, with no data, instead). Honestly, I cannot reproduce the error, but I didn't know if a potential bug could have caused these things to occur, and wanted to simply make it known.

5. Several members have expressed the need to repeatedly refresh their cache in order to get this to work as it was intended / expected, despite my use of the "Repair Cache" function in the optional settings (accessed via general options of both the system and Random Questions as found in Admin CP). Is there something that I should be doing to prevent the need for this, or that I should instruct them to do in order to avoid it?

6. Members have complained about having the same question / answer duplicated, both on their profile page and in the course of receiving a notification. For example, the random question asks, "Does Sally like posting?" and which a member responds, "Yes" and submits the answer. Sally (the member) then receives two separate notifications of the same response, and sees it populate her profile twice as well. What is causing this, and how best to correct and prevent it?

Questions on Functionality:
1. The mod literature mentions the ability to establish / specify your own questions page, and to insert a random widget / answer bar. I don't see where either can be accomplished, whether via AdminCP or Random Questions options / settings. Can you provide some additional information as to how to initiate each of these?

2. The mod literature mentions the ability to to "track stats" - is this only encompassed by the main "stat" page, where it lists the most / least popular posters, questions and respondents - or can it do more, such as not only track individual responses, but also to combine them into a larger view of all respondents? For example, if users are asked, "How would you rate President Obama's administration thus far, on a scale of 1-10?" I can see where one person has responded, "8" and another has repsonded, "4" - but is there some functionality to see that the question was answered by only two people, and that the average response was "6" (8+4=12 / 2 respondents = average of 6)?

3. Is there a way to integrate recently answered questions into a thread, or better yet, as line-items in Shoutbox?

4. Can you now add the total number of questions asked / answered in the users postbit, and have that hyperlink to the appropriate page of their member profile for more detailed information? Or similarly, could you have their most recent questions and / or responses in their postbit?

5. How can you provide the ability for members to submit and insert questions into the database without the need for admin approval of each, beforehand? The ability to delete questions after the fact is sufficient, without the need for such a controlled process on the front end, at least in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for any and all help / guidance you may provide.

When reading my answers, please keep in mind that I am not the developer of this mod, and until such a time as I can sit down and update it, I may not be able to offer too much assistance.

1. When selecting, "Specific Member" from the drop-down list in the navbar, the search box appears as expected - but when you enter a name, seemingly any name - it always returns the error, "Invalid User Specified - Please go back". This despite the fact that the name is entered "as-is" from the user's profile, meaning, with the exact spacing / capitalization, etc.

2. A similar error occurs when selecting, "Random Online User" - except the "question box" does appear, and with the name of the randomly selected participant at the top of the screen (the person to whom you are answering the question, and who will receive the answer). However, once you answer the question and click, "Submit" it often (app. 50% of the time, but its really intermittent) provides the same "Invalid User Specified" error which I previously mentioned, above.

3. After clicking "Submit" the screen fades as expected, but there is no way to move to the next question without re-introducing the process anew, from the navbar. Simply, a new question doesn't automatically appear, in fact, the area of the screen where the previously answered question resided simply remains blank until you exit that screen, or click "Random Questions" again. Perhaps this works as intended, but even if so, it's confusing to the members after submitting an answer and find themselves staring at a blank screen - with no indication that the previously submitted answer has been successfully completed, and with no indication as to how to then proceed.

4. One member has complained with some difficulties regarding her "Notifications" button (it shows that she has "7 New Questions" (or what have you) - but when she clicks it, it goes nowhere and is blank). Also, she has complained that the "Random Question" tab of her profile page is blank (it doesn't show anything - including the 7 items which appeared in her notification drop-down, and the absence of all questions which she has already asked / answered (it just shows a blank area, with no data, instead). Honestly, I cannot reproduce the error, but I didn't know if a potential bug could have caused these things to occur, and wanted to simply make it known.

5. Several members have expressed the need to repeatedly refresh their cache in order to get this to work as it was intended / expected, despite my use of the "Repair Cache" function in the optional settings (accessed via general options of both the system and Random Questions as found in Admin CP). Is there something that I should be doing to prevent the need for this, or that I should instruct them to do in order to avoid it?

6. Members have complained about having the same question / answer duplicated, both on their profile page and in the course of receiving a notification. For example, the random question asks, "Does Sally like posting?" and which a member responds, "Yes" and submits the answer. Sally (the member) then receives two separate notifications of the same response, and sees it populate her profile twice as well. What is causing this, and how best to correct and prevent it?
Could you please re-post bug reports into separate threads with as much detail as possible?

Step-by-step instructions on how to replicate the issues would be most helpful, as it's sadly impossible for me to offer any assistance with just the questions here.

1. The mod literature mentions the ability to establish / specify your own questions page, and to insert a random widget / answer bar. I don't see where either can be accomplished, whether via AdminCP or Random Questions options / settings. Can you provide some additional information as to how to initiate each of these?
I can't find that either, only the part to review the questions.

2. The mod literature mentions the ability to to "track stats" - is this only encompassed by the main "stat" page, where it lists the most / least popular posters, questions and respondents - or can it do more, such as not only track individual responses, but also to combine them into a larger view of all respondents? For example, if users are asked, "How would you rate President Obama's administration thus far, on a scale of 1-10?" I can see where one person has responded, "8" and another has repsonded, "4" - but is there some functionality to see that the question was answered by only two people, and that the average response was "6" (8+4=12 / 2 respondents = average of 6)?
It's a good bet that only the statistics page currently displayed is available :)

3. Is there a way to integrate recently answered questions into a thread, or better yet, as line-items in Shoutbox?
Not currently, no.

4. Can you now add the total number of questions asked / answered in the users postbit, and have that hyperlink to the appropriate page of their member profile for more detailed information? Or similarly, could you have their most recent questions and / or responses in their postbit?
If you re-post this as a feature request, we'll take it into consideration.

5. How can you provide the ability for members to submit and insert questions into the database without the need for admin approval of each, beforehand? The ability to delete questions after the fact is sufficient, without the need for such a controlled process on the front end, at least in my opinion.

For the future, instead of posting these overwhelming question compilations, could you please instead post issues as separate bug reports (with as much detail on how to replicate the issue as possible), feature requests as separate feature requests, and questions as separate questions? As you may notice, we use a support ticket system that allows us to track open bugs and feature requests separate from questions - it's 100% impossible for us to manage this when we have all 3 categories mixed into one post like this. Thanks :)

When reading my answers, please keep in mind that I am not the developer of this mod, and until such a time as I can sit down and update it, I may not be able to offer too much assistance.

Could you please re-post bug reports into separate threads with as much detail as possible?

Step-by-step instructions on how to replicate the issues would be most helpful, as it's sadly impossible for me to offer any assistance with just the questions here.

I can't find that either, only the part to review the questions.

It's a good bet that only the statistics page currently displayed is available :)

Not currently, no.

For the future, instead of posting these overwhelming question compilations, could you please instead post issues as separate bug reports (with as much detail on how to replicate the issue as possible), feature requests as separate feature requests, and questions as separate questions? As you may notice, we use a support ticket system that allows us to track open bugs and feature requests separate from questions - it's 100% impossible for us to manage this when we have all 3 categories mixed into one post like this. Thanks :)

Not a problem, and sorry for the mixing of apples and oranges. I understand how this causes difficulty on the support side of things.
However, the items that you asked to be re-posted as feature requests were actually inquiring as to the current system's functionality provided, if any. That's why I didn't list them as a feature request.

I'll see what our dev team can make of the errors, if anything. In the meantime, it's easiest to simply disable it, which I'll do, instead.

Problem "solved", I guess.

But, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Random Questions

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating