Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs404

2 suggestions - "Require Thanks to see content" vs [hide] and tidy-up thread display

Nice mod! I have the pro version and have noticed 2 things:

1. Why is there both "Require Thanks to see content" and the [hide] tag? It makes more sense that it should be one but not both. Specifically, the [hide] makes the most sense because it allows the user to place text around the [hide] tag that is visible to everyone without hitting thanks. Requiring the user to check "Require Thanks to see content" is bad for 2 reason:

a. It confuses the user because this option gives no indication that the user must also use the [hide] tag. Specifically, a user that's never used the system before would see the "Require Thanks to see content" and think, "If I check this, when I submit this post, no one will be able to see my content."

b. "Require Thanks to see content" isn't quick reply-friendly. You must go into the advanced reply in order to check this box.

What seems to make more sense would be to just do away with "Require Thanks to see content" and scan every reply for [hide] and react accordingly.

2. The "Post Thanks / Like" box is shown below every user regardless of whether they have received thanks or not. Instead, why not show this only if the user has received thanks to reduce forum clutter?

Thanks for your excellent support!

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hi there,

Could you post anything related to pro versions under the username who made the purchase in future?

Cheers,

Cosmic

I could somehow agree to number 2. The reason why I picked that other Thanks mod over DB's is because it doesn't take so much space in threads.

The Pro version of our mod allows you to merge the block into the signature area and/or use the buttons next to the "Report Post" etc icons :)

Hi there,

Could you post anything related to pro versions under the username who made the purchase in future?

Cheers,

Cosmic

Oh sorry, I'm 1 of 2 admins on the forum, and the other admin bought the mod.

The Pro version of our mod allows you to merge the block into the signature area and/or use the buttons next to the "Report Post" etc icons :)

So I actually have "(Pro) Integrate Action Buttons" set to Yes. Here's what it looks like (this is on a test forum install):

NlKBf.png

The thanks button was moved into the report area, but there's a big "Post Thanks / Like" box under every post. My 2nd suggestion is that this box shouldn't show up unless there is at least 1 thanks/like/etc.

You are also able to relocate that bar to within the signature area :)

That does help a little, but it's still always shown (and will thus add unnecessary stuff to the thread). Most posts are not going to have thanks/likes, so it makes sense to help reduce clutter. It'd be a really simple if statement to accomplish this. It could at least be an option: "only show cloud location if thanked/liked" or something.

Due to the way buttons can be docked, adding that check would require some JS finesse and isn't a 5 minute addon, but we'll take it into consideration for future versions :)

That's because the hide tag was implemented based on a whole lot more suggestions; being able to not hide the whole post. Unfortunately that's not going to be reverted :(

It is not possible to scan for a hide tag and react accordingly, because due to the fact that an unlimited number of buttons is possible the system would not know what button to use for un-hiding contents.

Ah, bummer. Thanks for the response. I just discovered [DavidsMods] vBHide Lite - Post Hide Hack! - vBulletin.org Forum however, and it looks like that might be able to solve my first issue.

I have 1 more question/suggestion. On vB 3.x, I used the vS Hide Hack Ressurection thanks mod. It had one feature that I really liked. It had the option of bumping the thread when the user hit the thanks button. Do you think you guys could add this feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.