s3ponline

Customer
So I’m still trying to speed up my website as much as possible.

Right now I have:

MYSQL 5.5
NGINX
XCACHE - Running through the config.php
Memcache - Running through vbseo and vbOptimise
vbOptimise 3 - Memcache
vbSEO - Memcache

I’m looking at varnish and mariaDB.

I still have to set up a cookieless domain to run images, attachments, java/css.
^ I don’t know how to do this.

I was wondering if varnish could be run with xcache or if it’s an either or and wondering how vbseo and vboptimise take to it.

Also was wondering if anyone has had any experience running mariaDB.

If all the static content is coming from a subdomain, is nginx still better than apache in terms of speed?

I have no idea if I have FCGI cache working. I’m definitely using FCGI.

I know dbtech is using Memcache through Vbo, and xcache through the config file.

Wondering if there’s anything else you guys did and what do you think of the other stuff?

vBSEO does not speed up your website, it in fact reduces performance of your website greatly. In some cases, removing vBSEO can shave up to 1-2 seconds off page loading times, depending on the amount of links present on the page in question.

---
We run 5.2.6-MariaDB-mariadb101 here with no issues, in fact it solved a problem we had with stock cPanel MySQL and InnoDB tables :)

We use Memcached through vBO, nothing via config.php.

Cookieless domain probably refers to a CDN-esque thing, where the static content is served directly off another domain that doesn't require cookies. Don't take my word for it though :p

Your best bet would be to use a CDN for static content, we used to do that here but we ran into some problems with it (I think the CDN servers went down for a while or something) and we just never bothered turning it back on since.

From what I can tell, nginx will always be faster than Apache per say, but we simply cannot afford to lose .htaccess functionality at this time. We're also not good enough at regexp to convert our .htaccess files to LiteSpeed format.
---

Beyond that, there's nothing more that can be done, save for ditching cPanel / WHM and going with a vanilla server setup and do everything manually. But honestly, who can be bothered doing that xD

vBSEO does not speed up your website, it in fact reduces performance of your website greatly. In some cases, removing vBSEO can shave up to 1-2 seconds off page loading times, depending on the amount of links present on the page in question.

---
We run 5.2.6-MariaDB-mariadb101 here with no issues, in fact it solved a problem we had with stock cPanel MySQL and InnoDB tables :)

We use Memcached through vBO, nothing via config.php.

Cookieless domain probably refers to a CDN-esque thing, where the static content is served directly off another domain that doesn't require cookies. Don't take my word for it though :p

Your best bet would be to use a CDN for static content, we used to do that here but we ran into some problems with it (I think the CDN servers went down for a while or something) and we just never bothered turning it back on since.

From what I can tell, nginx will always be faster than Apache per say, but we simply cannot afford to lose .htaccess functionality at this time. We're also not good enough at regexp to convert our .htaccess files to LiteSpeed format.
---

Beyond that, there's nothing more that can be done, save for ditching cPanel / WHM and going with a vanilla server setup and do everything manually. But honestly, who can be bothered doing that xD

I was just listing what I’m using and how I have it optimized.

Even with a CDN, its still pref. that you have subdomains for separate content.

---

I’ve been thinking of going with MariaDB. I’ve heard that it can also help with speed. Drag and drop.

Why do you use nothing via config.php. I remember you telling me that you used xcache via your config.php

There was an intermittent issue with the datastore cache not updating properly if we used the config.php datastore class variable. I wasn't able to track it down, so I decided to just say sod it, our load is 1.21 with about ~200 concurrent users and more guests across all our hosted sites, so I say that's close enough xD