Legacy Allowing Some Pruning Of Transaction Logs - Please Read Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haltech

Customer
I get a lot of transactions on my site. My daily backup now takes 13 mins longer because the transaction log is growing so fast. About 7 million when i saw the backup tonight. Many of us aren't using real money to gain credits, so why cant we have some sort of pruning of the transaction log? Personally i don't want a larger backup file just for a transaction log i could careless about.

Ive seen post that say it doesn't slow down the DB, which is true. But it also increases the backup file, at least for me, about 30% in size. Does one really need a log file showing transactions from a year ago or longer? For me, i would like to prune it monthly to be honest. There should be a way to solve this problem. Thanks

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Darkwaltz4 will be back in touch. I do know when talking about this in the past the biggest issue has been the need to have data available for when recounts are required. However, DW will be able to give you a more definitive answer of what can and can't be done.

Unfortunately, having a complete transaction log was the biggest request that was made when I created vbcredits II, and the whole system depends on that being there.

You could minimize the amount of stuff that goes into the log by deleting events for actions that you dont care about, particularly the thread/profile view events, as those can understandably fill up quicker.

You can also set your backup to exclude the transaction table. If that needs to be rebuilt if you restored a backup, most (not all - and it wont be completely accurate) of the transactions can be rebuilt using the recount tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.