Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord

I'm getting the following errors in my php error log (I've taken of the timestamp and shortened the path for easier reading)

PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in <home Directory>/core/packages/dbtechvbshout/api/vbshout/shoutbox.php on line 652
PHP Notice: Undefined index: dbtech_vbshout_pm in <home Directory>/core/packages/dbtechvbshout/api/vbshout/shoutbox.php on line 1731
PHP Notice: Undefined index: dbtech_vbshout_settings in <home Directory>/core/packages/dbtechvbshout/api/vbshout/shoutbox.php on line 1011
PHP Notice: Undefined index: dbtech_vbshout_settings in <home Directory>/core/packages/dbtechvbshout/api/vbshout/shoutbox.php on line 1011

I often have problems posting to the shoutbox and have to clear my cookies and log in again before I can post anything, i'm guessing these are related? I'm comfortable with PHP, but haven't been able to track this down yet.

I suggest you go to your root (presentation) config.php file and set
PHP:
$config['report_all_php_errors'] = false;
:)

There is no problem, PHP 5.4 simply decided that it would be a brilliant idea to enforce strict standards on all applications, even though PHP gained popularity based on the fact that our code didn't have to be 100% perfect.

Try setting this in your php.ini:
Code:
E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT

That should hopefully work for you.

Added that to php.ini

Not only did I still get the shoutbox errors, but I started getting other errors from other parts of the vb code prefixed with "PHP Strict Standards:"

I took it back out of the php.ini

In that case I have no idea how to suppress notices on your site, sorry :(

What version of PHP are you running?

it's 5.4 and I'm not wanting to suppress the message, I'm wanting to fix the problem causing them. If you re-read my original post, I said that there are some other odd things happening. I would think you would want to fix this, I mean trying to access an array with an invalid index is kinda bad programming. I know PHP allows for slop like that, but you're professionals selling a product.

The thing is, you are going to run into this issue in vBulletin itself and especially in other mods. Trust me when I say that IB have bigger fish to fry than fixing strict standards errors in vB5 - I've reported quite a few of them myself and I would not be surprised if I win the lottery before they get fixed.

And I don't even play the lottery.

Does that mean that if I fix these, we are more professional than vBulletin? :p
In seriousness though, I'll post back when I've added compat fixes to those lines.

Here's the thing. I'm not seeing these errors from VB or any other mod installed. I understand that you don't want to worry about strict standards issues, but it seems to me that you are dismissing the possibility that there could actually be a problem here. If errors are already being suppressed and yet these still get through, perhaps there is something larger than just strict standards going on. Does your code often call arrays with non-existent indices? If so, I'd expect to see a lot more of these errors in the log, but I'm not, I'm only seeing these same ones repeated over and over. I only submitted here because I was hoping to avoid spending hours mapping your code so I could find the problem.

The only reason why the errors would get logged if vB's error reporting says that they should be suppressed, the only possibility I can think of is that something else (somewhere in vBShout, some other mod, or a legacy vB4 function) is setting the error reporting level anew.

These notices aren't indicative of a bigger problem, but the fact that notices appear can cause bigger problems. The reason why I stopped reporting strict standards errors to IB wasn't because there were too many, or that they haven't worked on them yet, but rather the fact that notices ruin AJAX requests.

For instance, if an AJAX requests normally returns
Code:
{var:'val'}
that will pass through JSON parsers just fine. However, if it returns
Code:
<br />
<b>Notice:</b> AMAGERD YOU DIDN'T INITIALISE YOUR VARIABLES YA DINGUS in file.php on line 9001<br />
<br />{var:'val'}
that will fail validation.

This may very well be the reason for the issues you're experiencing. That's why I push so hard to get the notices suppressed - if you had a completely unrelated mod generating notices that ran during a vBShout AJAX request, you may be lead to believe the issue is in vBShout since after all it's vBShout that's throwing a "200 parsererror" instead of displaying the shouts.

Not many people have the know-how to inspect the AJAX in Firebug and notice that the message comes from another mod - I certainly don't blame anyone for that :)

I've uploaded some potential hotfixes for these notices, if you re-download and re-upload all files (a few files unrelated to this changed to fix other issues reported on vb.org), let me know how that goes :)

Could you please create and PM me with a temporary FTP and AdminCP account?

For security reasons, we recommend you create a new FTP account only for DBTech support, then disable or delete it after we have both confirmed the issue has been solved and there are no further issues.

The same applies to AdminCP accounts; they should ideally be temporary accounts created for us only. If we have created an account on your site already, you can optionally boost that account to Administrator and then de-admin this account once the issue has been solved.

If you use a .htaccess password protection for your AdminCP directory, it is recommended that you create a new authorised user for DBTech and remove this user once the issue has been solved.

Please test any temporary accounts you create to ensure that the FTP account has access to the forum files, and that the AdminCP account can access the administrative controls for the product we are assisting you with.

Ensuring this is all in order before submitting the information will significantly speed up the process of assisting you. We will alert you via PM if there's any issues with the login information you have provided.

When sending the PM, for your security you should also un-tick the "Save a copy in my Sent Items folder" checkbox. When the access details have been received, we will delete the PM from our inbox. Ensuring you have not kept a copy of the PM reduces the risk of security breaches.

Thank you for helping us debug our products and allowing us to assist you, we appreciate it :D

PM was sent the other day, I know you are busy, but wanted to make sure you got all the info you needed.

I replaced the file with the file from the download as I suggested earlier and that stopped the notices :)

Be advised that your skin isn't currently functioning, attempting to visit [domain]/css.php?styleid=1&td=ltr&sheet=css_imgareaselect-animated.css,css_jquery-ui-1_8_14_custom.css,css_jquery_qtip_min.css,css_jquery_selectBox.css,css_jquery_fileupload-ui.css,css_global.css,css_bootstrap.css,css_b_button.css,css_b_button_group.css,css_b_icon.css,css_b_form_control.css,css_b_form_input.css,css_b_form_select.css,css_b_form_textarea.css,css_b_link.css,css_b_ajax_loading_indicator.css,css_responsive.css&ts=1370206627 results in a 500 Internal Server Error.

Well thank you for fixing it, however, I feel I need to point out that the files you uploaded are not the ones that were in the hotfix you had me download the other day. After comparing them side by side, I see you added some additional checking in your if statements. So, thanks for trying to make me seem unable to upload files properly.

As for the css.php thing, yeah the forum owner keeps messing with styles and things there are way screwed up, I have a ticket in with vb support to figure out what he broke.

I did a comparison from a freshly set of downloaded files from DBTech and not only were certain fixes that are present in the downloaded 6.1.0a5 files missing (related to date/time and pre-caching), but the if conditions that were present in the downloaded files were not present on your site.

Therefore I manually applied the if condition checks :)

I didn't apply the other fixes because if your site did not have the new version of the shoutbox.php API file, it probably didn't have the fixes from the other files either.

and now there's no shoutbox and here's the error:

PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home1/avianati/public_html/core/packages/dbtechvbshout/api/vbshout/shoutbox.php on line 574

I cannot look into this issue because I can no longer connect to your FTP with the provided credentials.

Yeah, I had disabled that account when you told me it was all fixed, then forgot it was off when I responded here. I turned it back on now.

Be aware, VBulletin support has also been working on the site because of some other issues, I'm sory if they change anything that breaks your stuff, it seems that VB5 is not very stable. Really wishing the forum owner had gone with vb4 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.