Status
Not open for further replies.
I've notice that my shout has really started lagging in the past week. It is also giving several errors and not clearing the shout out of the shout editor after it has been submitted. Is there any maintenance I should be doing?

I have never cleared the shouts...I think I have about 78,000 in there right now. I've been hoping for a way to retain shout numbers and still be able to clear the old shouts because especially with the milestones, I have chatters that are keeping track of their standings now.

(Pro) Auto-Delete Shouts Enter how long (in hours) before shouts are automatically deleted.
0 = Disable
24 = 1 Day
168 = 1 Week
672 = 1 Month
use this setting

Without the error messages I'm unable to give any real advice beyond what Force said, sorry :(

As I understand it, if I delete (auto delete) shouts, the members total number of shouts shown in the archive is decreased?

Is it possible that deleting shouts would increase performance?

I'll write down some errors and update this thread...

Here is one of the errors:

Error: Invalid Response from Server

Last edited:
That error could mean that you had too many shouts.. Not sure tbh. I'll try some optimisations when I have time off from vBMail :)

Do you think I could get a big gain in overall performance with vboptimize?

For whatever reason, it seems like this issue has come on pretty suddenly. I had been going pretty well. The only other change was adding vbactivity...not sure if that would create a big impact on performance.

I definitely appreciate any help/advice you can give. I'm going down through my site right now and trying to make some of the images a little leaner and compressed. But I'm not sure how much that impacts chat lag once it is loaded and on the screen.

I don't believe we've had any reports of vBActivity causing any major slowdowns, but with a large enough site it's hard to tell...

It'll definitely be a form of timeout then, try pruning the shoutbox either via that auto-delete setting or typing /prune and see if that helps :)

I notice old pm notices are still in chat, how can I prune those?

Oops sorry for bump...forgot to edit thread.

OK...now I have some strange stuff going on... I have users getting milestones of going from 50 to 100 in one chat. Please advise..

Last edited:
Old PMs (before v5.4) cannot be pruned without manually deleting them from the database.

The milestones changing could be as a result of old PMs, since shout counters rebuild on shout.

Right again! I'm just going to go with a prune after a week I guess. I might as well disable milestones for chats...since we won't be really tracking them for more than a week at a time from now on. Hopefully your next update will allow members to accumulate their number of chats despite pruning.

Its amazing to me that the data from the shout table was large enough to slow even non-shout pages on the forum. But as soon as I pruned them, it was like flipping a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.