Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcoth

Customer
Can someone explain the medals to me more in detail. I don't have the Pro version yet and I'm interested in more information. Are the medals sort of like custom achievements that don't use the forum variables? The reason I ask is because I run a guild forum. My members play a game called Vanguard: SOH. I'd like to set up some custom medals that I can give them for accomplishing certain things in game; like being a part of a major first-time kill or getting so many DKP or for getting their griffon quest completed.

Another question is, since it doesn't have a variable on the forum to check against, how does something like this get rewarded. Is there a way for the user to request a medal? If not, that is definitely a feature I'd like to see. Once one is requested, an admin or assigned vBActivity moderator could go in and approve or reject the request (comments field for why would be nice too).

Yes the medal system is manually done by giving a user a medal, its a little different to achievements as you don't earn them by completing set goals, the user like yourself can create a medal for just about anything and give it to a user whenever they desire. you can make medals for non forum related things if you so wish, theres no limit on what you can do with them. Achievements is more based on activity whereas medals is more based around user selected events. hope this helps.

Yes, that definitely helps. Is the only way to award medals is by giving them out though? Meaning, is there a way for a user to request a medal?

For now you could just post an announcement on your forums to get people who have activley completed your criteria for medals to PM you or something. it'll give ya the same effect as a "request this medal/trophie"

For now you could just post an announcement on your forums to get people who have activley completed your criteria for medals to PM you or something. it'll give ya the same effect as a "request this medal/trophie"

Only somewhat.

At least I would imagine a request feature working like this:

User sees a list of all medals they can request (maybe medals have a usergroup tied to them so only certain usergroups can request certain medals).

They click the one they want to request. They are asked to input some information as to why they should receive the medal. User submits the request.

Request goes into the database.

Anyone in a list of usergroups (adminCP defined) can then view the current (and past) requests.

Medal admin/moderator is then presented with the options: Approve, Deny, Ignore, Delete.

All options allow for a message to be entered that would be attached to the medal.

There's a checkbox for "Send user PM with contents of textbox".

If checked a copy of whatever is typed in goes to the user as well as saves to this medal request record.

Whoever approved/denied the medal is saved to the record as well.

At least, off the top of my head, this is how that would work. heh

Trek, stop trying to steal my thunder. :p I had a nice long message all typed up to describe the process. Thanks for the help though, I didn't think of the part of having the user give a reason to why they should get the medal. Also, I think the send the user a PM should be default checked (I had that automatic in my process but I guess having the option to uncheck it should be there; more options are always good). You know Trek, I spent about 30 minutes on my process list. How long did that take you, 5 minutes?

Most definitely NOT! LOL! That means more work for me and that's what I'm trying to avoid. A system would allow the officers in my guild to take care of the requests. The less I have to do the better. I guess I could figure out a way to get this to work with Easyforms though. Then I could let my officers take care of it.

Trek, stop trying to steal my thunder. :p I had a nice long message all typed up to describe the process. Thanks for the help though, I didn't think of the part of having the user give a reason to why they should get the medal. Also, I think the send the user a PM should be default checked (I had that automatic in my process but I guess having the option to uncheck it should be there; more options are always good). You know Trek, I spent about 30 minutes on my process list. How long did that take you, 5 minutes?

haha sorry about that! =) And yeah, was probably less than 5 minutes. But hey, I bet yours would of looked more clean than my rambling thoughts as I mentally ran through the process. =)

Just checking in and hoping this is still on the list for the vbActivity. :)

I'll get more into this once the semester is over. Not fun taking a lot of classes while working full time.

Still on the list =)

new version of VBA has not been started yet, we've got a lot of different projects going just now. It'll get done though =)

Understood. I need to think away around me not having to manage this fully. I think I'll make a form using EasyForms to allow my users to put in the request and then allow the admins access to YET another form that can give out the achievements. I've got some ideas on how to do it, but I need to finish this semester before I can start on it. Just thinking out loud, don't mind me.

as far as i'm aware this is a feature for the future, untill then you can always allow your officers/mods/smods to give users medals should you not want to have to do them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back