Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

Customer
Sorry not sure if this is a feature request or if it is something that is already implemented.

Basically at present I am getting a few members, giving me a little bit of a hard time about collating members addresses.

I have told them that we (admin) cannot see addresses or paypal ID's - and I have checked all settings and cannot find these details.

Also I know we spoke in another post regarding security Mokonzi and I would like to request that addresses are encrypted in the database if possible?

it is one thing to lose email addresses if you was hacked or something, but peoples addresses is very dangerous.

I also think you are right that members details and privacy must come first, what do you think?

Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've had similar requests before. I will take a look into this matter further, but I would mention this.

1) If a person emails an address to someone a copy of that email (including the address) is stored on the servers that send and receive that email.
2) If a person PMs a user on a forum their address, the details of that address are not encrypted in the PM system AND the users details are transmitted via email.

Although we don't encrypt addresses, they aren't stored in a way that connects any financial details to the person. We also don't keep anything other than the persons PayPal email address in the system, and certainly we don't keep passwords or other specific details for the financial transactions within the Classifieds part of the database.

I will mention this to Fillip H. and Cosmic to get some feedback as this keeps being brought up. In all fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if that vast majority of addresses stored on internet websites are not stored in a secure manner. :(

I've had similar requests before. I will take a look into this matter further, but I would mention this.

1) If a person emails an address to someone a copy of that email (including the address) is stored on the servers that send and receive that email.
2) If a person PMs a user on a forum their address, the details of that address are not encrypted in the PM system AND the users details are transmitted via email.

Although we don't encrypt addresses, they aren't stored in a way that connects any financial details to the person. We also don't keep anything other than the persons PayPal email address in the system, and certainly we don't keep passwords or other specific details for the financial transactions within the Classifieds part of the database.

I will mention this to Fillip H. and Cosmic to get some feedback as this keeps being brought up. In all fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if that vast majority of addresses stored on internet websites are not stored in a secure manner. :(

Yes I am more than aware of notes 1 and 2, I actually posted the PM note to my members saying that using the old classifieds system i had in place they would have to use the PM system to give out addresses!

But this modification is a little different to most to be fair in the fact that it does use addresses and a paypal email.

It might be a hard sale for anyone who buys this to use it on the forums without giving their members that kind of additional security.

As I said on a forum we all can get an email and start posting, but once you start using it for online transactions - it would be really nice to offer our members that extra layer of protection, It is a big sales pitch for you guys as well to offer that level of protection for your potential buyers to be fair

Thank you again for consideration!

Mick

After talking with Cosmic about it we'll try and implement some encryption features. I think it unlikely it will make it into the RC this week, but we will get it in as quickly and securely as we can. :)

Just as a quick update on this... I'm working with Fillip H. on some encryption methods for such sensitive data... likely to make it into Classifieds for the gold version. ;)

Hello Mick,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Implemented.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back