Bug Unique instance that kills the site for with error

Status
Not open for further replies.

XGC xVIPERx XI

Customer
This issue is a major as it prevents admins and super moderators from accessing the site. So what is happening is that I have where my admins are required to update their password every so many days. When that time happens and the user logs in, it causes an error literally displays nothing. Hence I cannot see what the error is. I disable the Donate and refresh then site with the message to change the password is displayed.

What is causing this and how can this be fixed?

Check your server error log for more information.

For the record, forcing people to change passwords every X days is incredibly bad from a security perspective. Users who are not security conscious (people who don't use password managers to generate & store cryptographically secure passwords) will pick more and more insecure passwords as their list of passwords to remember grows shorter.

To ensure security, it's much better to be using a platform that offers Two-Factor Authentication.

I like your perspective of the passwords. I am going to reduce the amount of those required to only admins. That is because we had an admin who went inactive and his account got hacked.

Since this is a timeline incident, it will take a few days to get this to recycle. I can set up the scenarios, maybe possibility today. So keep this open and I will get back with you what I find and provide the details.

James

Here is what I was able to gather for information. I also checked all the log files in the site root folder and I even activated the config.js in debug mode. Soon as I submit to login in, the info below is what shown in the PLESK logs panel.

Type: Access
Code: 200

Type: Error
Code: 500

This is what is displayed on the page.

A System Error has occured.
The software is experiencing a systems error.
You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator.

Thanks,

James

You'll need to check your server error log for the real error behind a 500 Internal Server Error, as that is not enough information to assist.

Here is the info from my host explaining how he troubleshot this issue:

When I attempted to login as Webmaster, I got an error right away. The error message is generated by VB as a 500 error, this is not a Litespeed 500 error.

No PHP errors are logged either from my interaction with the site.

I enabled VB Debug mode and it spit out this error page by the donate plugin, not handling the error message that I haven't changed my password for 125 days.

Then taking the link from the error message, it did load up the accounts page just fine for me to change my password. Before I could save my new password, this message popped up..

I clicked okay and scrolled down and saved my new password.

I was then able to successfully visit the main page and the forum main page without the error message from above.

I will be gone for the next 12 days on vacation. I will check back soon as I get home to see if you have a solution for this.

Thanks for your help!

Viper

That is not an error. You have to change your vB account's password, because you have enabled the password expiry feature.

You should turn that feature off, as it makes your passwords less secure.

Users who do not use a password manager will already reuse passwords, and will simply add a "1" to the end of the password or use another one of their "known passwords", thus making it less secure.

Users who do use a password manager is already using a unique and secure password, and as such expiring passwords is nothing more than an inconvenience that does absolutely nothing to increase the security of the passwords.

Hello @XGC xVIPERx XI,

We hope your ticket regarding vBDonate has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Hello @XGC xVIPERx XI,

As we have not heard back from you, your ticket regarding vBDonate has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, please feel free to start a new support ticket and link back to this ticket.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.