Status
Not open for further replies.

angeljs

Customer
I know there's been a million posts about this with as many answers, but I've tried all of them, I think. For the life of me I can't get the sounds to play in the shoutbox. Am I correct in thinking I can use any sound file format? I've tried a few with no luck.

I have Quicktime, I've enabled sounds all over the site and tried in 3 different browsers. I remember the sounds working on vB4 so I know it's not a problem with your mod. :)

By default, HTML5 sounds are enabled and they do not allow for customised options. The pop.ogg or whatever is the file name is the file it reads from.

QuickTime is not needed for HTML5 sounds. Can you right-click and view source and confirm that "<audio" exists in the source?

Confirmed. Here's one of the instances:

Code:
<audio name="dbtech_vbshout_sound_shout" data-instanceid="1"> 
<source src="[URL="http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/view-source:http://www.simfansuk.com/forum/dbtech/vbshout/sounds/pop.ogg"]dbtech/vbshout/sounds/pop.ogg[/URL]" type="audio/ogg" /> 
<script type="text/javascript"> 
<!-- 
if (is_ie || is_saf) document.write('<source src="dbtech/vbshout/sounds/pop.mp3" type="audio/mpeg" />'); 
//--> 
</script>
 </audio>

What's your browser? Every modern browser should be able to play HTML5 sounds.

Sorry, .swf files are not supported via QuickTime. You cannot use a Flash file as a sound file.

Could you try it with the default sound files? It's possible your custom sound isn't compatible.

Still nothing :( It's very frustrating because I know it works! :RpS_cursing: (I'm annoyed at me, not you! lol)

Still nothing :( It's very frustrating because I know it works! :RpS_cursing: (I'm annoyed at me, not you! lol)
Could you please PM me with an FTP account and an AdminCP account? I'll look into it over the weekend - can't make any promises about today since Fridays are notoriously busy for us :)

What exactly is pop.ogg? I have vlc player installed and it recognises it as a vlc format.
Ogg Vorbis is an open-source audio format that is used as the standard for the HTML5 <audio> tag, just like I believe h.264 .mp4 is used as the <video> standard.

As long as it's named pop.ogg then theoretically yeah. I can't guarantee anything since I don't control what the browsers will accept playing, plus I don't know the differences between the file you had there and mine - maybe your FTP program doesn't handle binary vs ASCII files properly?

Ah! How should that file have been uploaded? And how did you upload the file?

Last edited:
I use SmartFTP, it auto-detects and handles these uploads correctly, so I wouldn't know :(

Well this is even more frustrating. I converted the file I want to use, uploaded that using SmartFTP, but nothing. So I re-uploaded the original and it's gone back to not working again. I have absolutely no idea what's going wrong as I've not changed any of the FTP settings, yet it uploads fine for you, but not for me. :( Have you ever seen a grown woman tearing her hair out! :RpS_crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBShout

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back