Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I was trying to make shoutbox usable to my users by putting the html code into a thread. I tested it with an iframe of a yugioh site to see if mobile users can in fact view pages running html in-app and they can. So my question is, what html code would i put in the thread to have the shoutbox show up?

Here's the canned response regarding putting vBShout in a custom location:

To put vBShout in a custom location, do the following:

Step 1: AdminCP -> DBTech - vBShout-> Instance Management -> [Edit].

Step 2: Change the Auto-Display Shoutbox setting to Disabled.

Step 3: Write down the the Varname setting. For the default shoutbox, it's instance1. The rest of this guide will assume you replace instance1 with the actual Varname if it is different.

Step 4: Enter the Style Manager and add either {vb:raw show.vbshout_instance1} (vB4) or {$show[vbshout_instance1]} (vB3) to the templates you wish the shoutbox to appear in.

Follow these steps as described and you will have total control over the position of the Shoutbox.
Please note that some locations may not work as intended on vBulletin 3.8, and also note that it is not designed to go in the Forum Blocks side-bar (vBulletin 4).

Beyond that, I can't go into specifics for how to deploy it in an iframe as that would most likely require a custom solution that we're unable to provide as a part of our normal support service, sorry :(

Here's the canned response regarding putting vBShout in a custom location:

To put vBShout in a custom location, do the following:

Step 1: AdminCP -> DBTech - vBShout-> Instance Management -> [Edit].

Step 2: Change the Auto-Display Shoutbox setting to Disabled.

Step 3: Write down the the Varname setting. For the default shoutbox, it's instance1. The rest of this guide will assume you replace instance1 with the actual Varname if it is different.

Step 4: Enter the Style Manager and add either {vb:raw show.vbshout_instance1} (vB4) or {$show[vbshout_instance1]} (vB3) to the templates you wish the shoutbox to appear in.

Follow these steps as described and you will have total control over the position of the Shoutbox.
Please note that some locations may not work as intended on vBulletin 3.8, and also note that it is not designed to go in the Forum Blocks side-bar (vBulletin 4).

Beyond that, I can't go into specifics for how to deploy it in an iframe as that would most likely require a custom solution that we're unable to provide as a part of our normal support service, sorry :(

Where in the style manager is the forum home page on the mobile theme? I'm just trying to make shoutbox available to mobile users

Last edited:
vBShout cannot work on the mobile style at this time.

The mobile style is only available to a subset of our users (only vB4 users running 4.1.x and higher) - which excludes vB3, vB4.0.x and vB5 users. For that reason, and because integrating it into the mobile style would be a gargantuan task that would subvert the very purpose of a mobile style (lightweight, no excess JavaScript), we've opted not to support the mobile style at this time.

vBShout cannot work on the mobile style at this time.

The mobile style is only available to a subset of our users (only vB4 users running 4.1.x and higher) - which excludes vB3, vB4.0.x and vB5 users. For that reason, and because integrating it into the mobile style would be a gargantuan task that would subvert the very purpose of a mobile style (lightweight, no excess JavaScript), we've opted not to support the mobile style at this time.

Alright, thank you. And this leads to my final question. Would I get in trouble if I could somehow get this to work on the mobile system? I don't know if there are any issues with doing that or not or if it's considered modifying the software or something.

Last edited:
You're free to modify our products as much as you want, so long as you don't provide instructions for enabling Pro-only features in the Lite version or redistribute your stuff.

In short, for personal use you can do whatever you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.