Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

Hi :)

I think i have found a small bug.

I have set up the arcade to have several tabs for different usergroups.
People who have f.i. a gold membership can reach a certain tab.
But... when they leave this group (f.i. because their gold membership has expired) they can still play the games that they have put in their favorites...even though they are in a tab that they shouldn't be able to reach ..

Not a bug, built by design. If you want to restrict access to usergroups and games, do so in the permissions manager and create appropriate access brackets.

The usergroups who can see a certain categories have no bearing on access, which is explained in the admin descriptions.

The reason I did it this way is because of the multiple methods for controlling access (such as if you posted enough times for that day). Actually calculating and restricting based on those criteria for every single game is computationally taxing, and will be confusing why some games might be available and vanish unexpectedly, only to return for users. The usergroup controls on the categories are only a compromise for hiding truly restricted content (not just earned content).

Ok, i understand.
It would be nice if i could apply some access restrictions to gabes based on the tabs. I have over 2500 games and i don't want to configure the access for all of them one by one.
Or is that already possible?

Yes, but handpicking over 2500 games is really a big job, especially when i i have to select them based on the tab they are in (believe it or not but i don't really know what games are in what tab) :cool:

Yes, but handpicking over 2500 games is really a big job, especially when i i have to select them based on the tab they are in (believe it or not but i don't really know what games are in what tab) :cool:

Then I think really what you should have done was create a new catagory "gold membership"..And added the games you require to that catagory when importing..Then you can control the catagory rather than individual games.It's all down to creating your catagories before you import..If you didn't do that then yes your making more work for yourself.

And can you not set permissions for that catagory?

UsergroupsThe specific usergroups this category is allowed by. If none are selected then all users will be qualified. Ctrl/cmd+click or click+drag to select more than one.

Does that have no effect..?

It has effect on the tabs on the front end.
But here is what happened...

I have some members that had a gold membership and they where able to play the games.
Thay saved the games to their favorites.
The gold membership expired.
They where still able to play the games because they where listed in their favorites.
Darkwaltz4 told me that is by design, and that i should change the permission on each game. (see a few posts above this one)
Which is, imho, not really a solution because i don't want to change the permissions on thousands of games by hand.

Then forgive for asking but is the gold membership usergroup primary or additional..

I did notice that setting permissions for usergroups can be a little difficult..

Perms.jpg

Thanks fot trying to help me, i appreciate it.

Maybe i am trying to raise another problem. The userinterface for managing this is not very efficient.
I know what the problem is but i don't want to hand-pick over 1100 games from the list.
That is very inefficient and also it is very likely i am going to make misstakes (one wrong click without the CTRL-key and i have to start over again)
What are categories for if you cant' use them to select groups of games?
So it would be nice if we where to select games by category in the screen that you made a screenshot of.

I admit, it can get kinda shitty when you have tons of games. I would like to make this easier.

How about I make an inclusion list kind of widget? On the permission page, you get two large multi-select lists on either side. Included and not included.
You click one thing, and it switches the list it is in. Then, some quick links to auto-swap sets of games by category. I would then get rid of the usergroup permissions in the categories, and hide games not available to your usergroups, and rely on it hiding categories if they are empty (such as your usergroup not having access to any games in it).

Should solve the disconnect between category and game permissions, make it easy to select more than one game, still preserve usergroup category permissions, and simplify this configuration process. Good?

That would not be my first solution but it is a step in the good direction.
Why not add a function to add all games from a certain category and leave the category-membership permission in place?

I want to remove the category permissions because you would assume it controls game access as well, which it doesnt. Plus it would be one less thing to worry about configuring.

Round about one year later and the Problem is the same. I have miore than 4000 games and only my vip can Play them all. the other usergroups have permissions to play different categorys, but they can play all, if they know the URL or they see the game in the list of last Champions, last Points and so on.

It was so simple in the ibproarcade. Why it is a problem to give the permission over the categorys? Now I must hand-pick over 4000 games from the list to sort it usergroup per usergroup. How many years I must sort, before I have the right permission?

Sorry, but this is very inefficient (also sorry for my english).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBArcade

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings