Bug Dramatic increase in serverload after installing vbshout lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

singhdfi

Hello,

We were running vbshout on another server,and it was running smoothly. After server migration to a more powerful server, the server load increased dramatically. The culprit we isolated was vbshout.

Could you help us optimize it ? Or point out the problem ?

Thanks

Earlier our serverload used to be .3-.7. After migration it increased to 17-18; now its 2-3 with spikes to 7-8 every few minutes, this is after extensive optimization.

Nothing has changed in vBShout that would cause such a change. Not the amount of data fetched nor the frequency of data fetch. Any changes in JS processing would only affect the user's browser, not the server itself.

Please try disabling any other modifications you may have installed while installing vBShout v6.

We didn't make any changes to the site, no modifications installed or removed. We only recently upgraded vbshout lite to 6.0.3 because we were at our wits end.
The load is caused by php, I believe.

Ah I completely misread the topic, I thought the issue was that an upgrade from 5.4.8 -> 6.0.3 caused the change >.< My bad, sorry :(

I'm not an expert on server optimisations, but I suggest to compare PHP and MySQL configurations to ensure that it's not more limiting in one way or another.

We have something akin to 6 sites on this server (Dual 5518's I believe it was, 12 GB RAM, 15k RPM RAID0 drives), 4 of them running vBShout, load never goes above 4 :)

No problem. I shall have a look at the config files. In the meanwhile do you have any general tips to optimize vbshout or the server ? for the benefit of all members viewing this thread ?

I shall get back if I find a fix.

Turning off the Context Menu severely decreases the amount of data being sent with each request. There is a global switch, and a per-usergroup switch if you would still like it enabled for certain groups.

Reducing the refresh rate can also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.