Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSpades

Customer
Hello,

I was thinking... is there any plans to let admins have the flexibility to add a video player in the Download item's page if it's a video.

So for example, someone clicks on a gameplay video in the Downloads section and it brings them automatically to a Streaming version of the video, but they have the option to download the file in HD, instead.

Will this be implemented? I am planning to use this for my video player: http://www.longtailvideo.com/

Oh, by the way, is there that download timer implemented into this mod? I just purchased the mod right now and I haven't even had time to exactly look through everything just yet. Couldn't find the option...

Hello,

I was thinking... is there any plans to let admins have the flexibility to add a video player in the Download item's page if it's a video.

So for example, someone clicks on a gameplay video in the Downloads section and it brings them automatically to a Streaming version of the video, but they have the option to download the file in HD, instead.

Will this be implemented? I am planning to use this for my video player: http://www.longtailvideo.com/

Oh, by the way, is there that download timer implemented into this mod? I just purchased the mod right now and I haven't even had time to exactly look through everything just yet. Couldn't find the option...
I am planning a number of streaming options in a future version of the mod. As for the download timer, I hope to have that in very shortly after the release of gold.

I am planning a number of streaming options in a future version of the mod. As for the download timer, I hope to have that in very shortly after the release of gold.

Cool, at first I wasn't going to buy your Downloads mod because it lacked the features I was looking for... but I bought it anyways knowing that you actually said you are going to add the features. :)

Glad to support you!

Oh, and before I go, you say that you'd add the timer feature and the streaming option features in a later version... Will it be a while for these features to be released? So far, the other DBTech mods I have haven't been getting much updates whatsoever. It feels as if every one of you guys have been working hard on the RPG mod instead of your own mods. For example, the vbCredits mod was supposed to release a SECOND version of it for a while now... about 1-2 months have passed and nothing. As well as the other mods, but they haven't released an update on any of them in a while as well.

You guys should try to find a better way to update your mods because if I bought a 3 month or 1 year license on a mod, I would be very disappointed with the lack of updating going on. Just sayin'. :)

Cool, at first I wasn't going to buy your Downloads mod because it lacked the features I was looking for... but I bought it anyways knowing that you actually said you are going to add the features. :)

Glad to support you!

Oh, and before I go, you say that you'd add the timer feature and the streaming option features in a later version... Will it be a while for these features to be released? So far, the other DBTech mods I have haven't been getting much updates whatsoever. It feels as if every one of you guys have been working hard on the RPG mod instead of your own mods. For example, the vbCredits mod was supposed to release a SECOND version of it for a while now... about 1-2 months have passed and nothing. As well as the other mods, but they haven't released an update on any of them in a while as well.

You guys should try to find a better way to update your mods because if I bought a 3 month or 1 year license on a mod, I would be very disappointed with the lack of updating going on. Just sayin'. :)
I am not working on RPG at all at the moment, my focus is completely on Downloads for the time being. The timer should be in the mod 1-3 weeks after the release of the gold version, which should be fairly soon.

I am not working on RPG at all at the moment, my focus is completely on Downloads for the time being. The timer should be in the mod 1-3 weeks after the release of the gold version, which should be fairly soon.

Okay, cool to know. :)

Is there any other features that are in the backburner and is being planned to be released with the Timer feature? If there isn't any, could you possibly attempt to get both the timer feature and the streaming options released at the same time?

Okay, cool to know. :)

Is there any other features that are in the backburner and is being planned to be released with the Timer feature? If there isn't any, could you possibly attempt to get both the timer feature and the streaming options released at the same time?
There are possibly a few more. Streaming would probably be in 1.1 due to the size of it. I'll have more details after release though :)

David So, it seems the download timer hasn't been implemented into the Downloads Gold release nor did it come out on the recent update you launched the other day. You did say you were going to release the feature shortly after the Gold launch but I'm slowly not believing it will be done as soon as I thought because of all the other work you have to do (optimization for other mods, vbQuiz, etc). So... what's the plan? I think the download timer is an important feature because it would force guests to wait for their download (which helps the forum get more members). By the way, will there also be a CAPTCHA feature with the Download mod so it keeps bots from spam downloading files (not sure why CAPTCHAs have been added into these File Sharing websites heh).

Also, I would REALLY love to know when you are going to add the streaming feature into the Downloads mod. It would be great to be able to provide a streaming option for my members, which will definitely make my site a lot more professional.

I would love to hear from you, David. Keep up the good work!

David So, it seems the download timer hasn't been implemented into the Downloads Gold release nor did it come out on the recent update you launched the other day. You did say you were going to release the feature shortly after the Gold launch but I'm slowly not believing it will be done as soon as I thought because of all the other work you have to do (optimization for other mods, vbQuiz, etc). So... what's the plan? I think the download timer is an important feature because it would force guests to wait for their download (which helps the forum get more members). By the way, will there also be a CAPTCHA feature with the Download mod so it keeps bots from spam downloading files (not sure why CAPTCHAs have been added into these File Sharing websites heh).

Also, I would REALLY love to know when you are going to add the streaming feature into the Downloads mod. It would be great to be able to provide a streaming option for my members, which will definitely make my site a lot more professional.

I would love to hear from you, David. Keep up the good work!
Hey,

Sorry for the delay :) It didn't make it into the last update but we will be doing another one (hopefully this weekend) and delays are my first priority (no pun intended)! They will be added, rest assured! Streaming will be added after that. Let me know if you require any more assistance!

Hey,

Sorry for the delay :) It didn't make it into the last update but we will be doing another one (hopefully this weekend) and delays are my first priority (no pun intended)! They will be added, rest assured! Streaming will be added after that. Let me know if you require any more assistance!

Another tidbit feature that you can add with the Download Timer is the ability for admins to add an advertisement or a video ad (Google Adsense Video Ads for example) while the timer is going so the admin can at least profit from the downloads. I think this would be good because we, admins, will be spending quite a load of money if we allow our members to download files via our own servers (bandwidth costs are gonna be so much fun... argh)

Another tidbit feature that you can add with the Download Timer is the ability for admins to add an advertisement or a video ad (Google Adsense Video Ads for example) while the timer is going so the admin can at least profit from the downloads. I think this would be good because we, admins, will be spending quite a load of money if we allow our members to download files via our own servers (bandwidth costs are gonna be so much fun... argh)
Shouldn't be a problem adding that :)

Can't wait!

Damn, I love DBTech. You guys really pay attention to your members and add the features we request. Big thumbs up! :)

Hey,

Hey David ,

Just needed a quick update on how the update is looking. I want to feel prepared to install the Downloads mod into my forums once the new update is out. I've been incredibly busy working on my new site. x]

Hey David ,

Just needed a quick update on how the update is looking. I want to feel prepared to install the Downloads mod into my forums once the new update is out. I've been incredibly busy working on my new site. x]
Latest versions progress is coming along well. We should have a version of it up here probably next week and released shortly after that!

1+ Request for Music Streaming. We will love this feature.

vbDownloads would literally be the best mod I've purchased if it provides the ability for us to download/stream videos or music.

By the way, I have a small suggestion for the streaming feature. I think it would be cool if the admin was able to give permissions to member groups on what files they can stream and/or download. So for example, regular members can view the standard definition video file but if they want to see it in HD, they need to be a 'Donator' (a member group) in order to download the HD file.

Quick question to David : When you get the time to add the streaming feature, will the Comments section be right below it, so members can post comments while watching the streaming video?

vbDownloads would literally be the best mod I've purchased if it provides the ability for us to download/stream videos or music.

By the way, I have a small suggestion for the streaming feature. I think it would be cool if the admin was able to give permissions to member groups on what files they can stream and/or download. So for example, regular members can view the standard definition video file but if they want to see it in HD, they need to be a 'Donator' (a member group) in order to download the HD file.

Quick question to David : When you get the time to add the streaming feature, will the Comments section be right below it, so members can post comments while watching the streaming video?

I think controls such as this are beyond the scope of a "downloads" mod to be honest. Sounds more like features for some sort of media management mod (letting people steam content and having permissions for what they can see, how often, what definition etc)

I think controls such as this are beyond the scope of a "downloads" mod to be honest. Sounds more like features for some sort of media management mod (letting people steam content and having permissions for what they can see, how often, what definition etc)

It was just a suggestion to help improve the streaming aspect of the mod. I don't think it goes beyond the scope of a downloads mod, in my opinion. Allow us to be able to put some sort of video player code in the file description page and just give us the ability to either display streaming and/or download option to certain user groups. I don't think that's too complicated. :)

It was just a suggestion to help improve the streaming aspect of the mod. I don't think it goes beyond the scope of a downloads mod, in my opinion. Allow us to be able to put some sort of video player code in the file description page and just give us the ability to either display streaming and/or download option to certain user groups. I don't think that's too complicated. :)

=P If it was very simple there would be plenty of mods out there already doing it. I very much doubt it would be as easy as you think :P

Not to mention a downloads mod is focused around file down/uploads, as opposed to streaming. I'm sure if david has time he will look into those feature suggestions, but i'm just making it known that it is unlikely to be a primary focus - there are other download related features which should be implemented/improved before we go looking to take the product in a whole new direction with advanced streaming controls and options.

Personally i've never seen a downloads mod which offers advanced streaming content options before on any platform, which is what has shaped my opinion that it is outwith the scope of the mod (if it wasn't some other downloads mods at least would have that functionality)

Hope that clears my post up, and thanks again for your input, it's always valuable to hear peoples ideas and what they would like to see, and we always strive to be honest about the likelyhood of those features being implemented.

Cosmic

Status
Not open for further replies.