Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekkan

Customer
So I've noticed here (and on my own forums) the more active your forums are and the more we add neat things into the shoutbox, the harder it is to find an actual SHOUT from someone. Basically, things are getting a little cluttered.

I'm not sure of the ultimate solution, but...

My first thought was to make a new tab and dump system type messages in that. The problem with that is, most people aren't going to bother clicking a new tab to see "What's going on".

My next thought was a "What's Going On" type of box area near the shoutbox. Like another shoutbox itself really, but without all of the bells and whistles of the current shoutbox. Just a window that scrolls data as it's updated. No user interaction possible at all.

It could be placed to the right, left, below or above the shoutbox.

Anyway, I think at the very least, it'd be a good idea to start thinking of (assuming you haven't already) a plan for when the shoutbox isn't a shoutbox any longer, but is more of a status box. I'd like to retain the functionality of both a shoutbox and a status box. =)

I've already created the two tabs for Notifications and System Messages for v4.5 ;)
I think an area like you describe would undermine the layout changes that have - and will be - implemented to reduce the size of the Shoutbox, wouldn't you say?

To be fair though, we kinda use it as a notification box, mainly to demonstrate how it works :p

I've already created the two tabs for Notifications and System Messages for v4.5 ;)
I think an area like you describe would undermine the layout changes that have - and will be - implemented to reduce the size of the Shoutbox, wouldn't you say?

To be fair though, we kinda use it as a notification box, mainly to demonstrate how it works :p

I don't disagree. I guess that's why I was thinking more of an option than anything (I like options. ;) ).

Like I said, having them in a new tab is nice (and if the only option I have is the way it is now or a new tab, I'll probably choose a new tab). But maybe what I'm thinking of is something that might be better served in a forum block or a widget (or both really).

Just status messages that would fit there. Sounds like from what you're doing that might be possible to do with 4.5.

Also would be good to be able to select which notices we want in the new tab for the shoutbox too. For instance, I might want to display someone hitting the post count in the main window, but other stuff in the new tab, etc.

Anyway, just suggestions is all. =)

Hmmm... It sounds interesting.. but haven't really thought of options on what to do with it. What if you made the text on the tab blink or turn red when a new shout appears and ure in the notifications tab, and if your on the shout tab the notifications tab text turns red and blinks when something new is posted. That way you know when there's something new and you don't need to keep switching between the two? Just an idea

Hmmm... It sounds interesting.. but haven't really thought of options on what to do with it. What if you made the text on the tab blink or turn red when a new shout appears and ure in the notifications tab, and if your on the shout tab the notifications tab text turns red and blinks when something new is posted. That way you know when there's something new and you don't need to keep switching between the two? Just an idea

Yeah, something like that would work. Basically like mIRC works.

If you want notifications separate like new posts, would it not be easier to just ajax refresh the latest thread side bar instead of adding more tabs? Moving the sidebar up next to the shoutbox while shrinking the shoutbox would accomplish this in a MUCH better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.