Status
Not open for further replies.

ClutchThese

Customer
I hate to report this because i LOVED this mod. My website was suspended TWICE today simply because of the vbnotifications. After the first time, the hosting company said to limit the amount of traffic comes to my site... i was like "What? Why would anyone want to do that?"

Anyways, they re enabled my site and about two hours later, they closed my website again. This time i was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes trying to figure out what the problem was.

Well, it came down to VBnotifications being the culprit. It was basically crashing. I'm not very savvy on the backend of the database, but they said that the file was crashing multiple times (VBNotific.php i think) which eventually was eating up their server.

After some pleading with the guy on the phone, they said i had to disable the add-on and leave it off, otherwise they would suspend my account FOR GOOD.

Well, that's enough to scare me. I disabled it and wanted to make you aware of what i was experiencing. I'd love to run the mod, but i'm in no spot to argue with my hosting company.

On that note, i asked what they would recommend. They said to go with a dedicated server so i can monitor the activity and see what exactly is being the hog of all that data.

I hate to report this because i LOVED this mod. My website was suspended TWICE today simply because of the vbnotifications. After the first time, the hosting company said to limit the amount of traffic comes to my site... i was like "What? Why would anyone want to do that?"

Anyways, they re enabled my site and about two hours later, they closed my website again. This time i was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes trying to figure out what the problem was.

Well, it came down to VBnotifications being the culprit. It was basically crashing. I'm not very savvy on the backend of the database, but they said that the file was crashing multiple times (VBNotific.php i think) which eventually was eating up their server.

After some pleading with the guy on the phone, they said i had to disable the add-on and leave it off, otherwise they would suspend my account FOR GOOD.

Well, that's enough to scare me. I disabled it and wanted to make you aware of what i was experiencing. I'd love to run the mod, but i'm in no spot to argue with my hosting company.

On that note, i asked what they would recommend. They said to go with a dedicated server so i can monitor the activity and see what exactly is being the hog of all that data.

This sounds like a shared hosting provider overselling their servers.

It happens a lot - they promise unlimited everything for a small fee, but the problem is when you start getting a lot of traffic etc they claim that you are "crashing" the server.

What that means is your site is using too many resources on that server and they want you to pay for a dedicated server.

It's a cheap con trick a lot of lower-class hosts pull - if you REALLY got unlimited bandwidth etc with those deals no one would ever pay for the more expensive dedicated packages. They rely on the fact most people won't ever have a lot of traffic, and if they do that can use things like this to claim scripts are "crashing" the server.

My recommendation would be to find a better host to be honest.

... already found one! :) i'm in the process of switching over.

I'm baffled that a company would do that. What a miserable experience with them!

Did they provide any proof like error logs, or resource statistics proving this?

Sadly, no. They gave me nothing but an ear-full.

Edit: I'm fairly confident that it was simply a lousy host. Admin/Mod Please feel free to delete this thread as i don't want any users to get the wrong impression of this great product.

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately some hosts do that, like Cosmic said they probably are overselling their servers. But once you go to the new host, you should not have any issues like that.

He already got a new host, and I am sure he will be happy with them. :)

Judging by your sig, I guess that's where your assurances come from. =) Regardless, that's a more than worthwhile site to check out when looking for hosting.

Well, I'll like to know why there was problems. For example, vBNotifications doesn't really makes too much of load for my server, but from time to time they do stop my webserver. So it may be related with that bug I already reported.

Anyway, if it is related with this, I could help people on unmanaged dedicated servers (or VPS) how to patch this problem with third party software.

Well, I'll like to know why there was problems. For example, vBNotifications doesn't really makes too much of load for my server, but from time to time they do stop my webserver. So it may be related with that bug I already reported.

Anyway, if it is related with this, I could help people on unmanaged dedicated servers (or VPS) how to patch this problem with third party software.

I'm pretty sure the shared host was the problem. I have a new one now, and don't anticipate a problem from here out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBNotifications

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings