Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshFroot

This is more of a general question.

But, how does say upgrading to vB3 -> vB4 work in terms of your mods?

In other words how would I upgrade your mods to use the vB4 type? Is there any upgrade script or would I simple download the vB4 version and overwrite my vB3 plugin with it?

Just wanting to know, as I may be looking to upgrade in the future and need more details.

Thanks.

This is more of a general question.

But, how does say upgrading to vB3 -> vB4 work in terms of your mods?

In other words how would I upgrade your mods to use the vB4 type? Is there any upgrade script or would I simple download the vB4 version and overwrite my vB3 plugin with it?

Just wanting to know, as I may be looking to upgrade in the future and need more details.

Thanks.

Heya,

Can you please update the information panel with your URL and not vbulletin.org? Only staff can see it, it is not made public.

Thanks,

Cosmic

Heya,

Can you please update the information panel with your URL and not vbulletin.org? Only staff can see it, it is not made public.

Thanks,

Cosmic

Not sure what my URL has to do with my question? I was hoping to see an answer so I can look into vB4.

Thanks for updating that info. To upgrade DBT mods from vb3 to vb4 is simple, just import the vb4 xml instead of the vb3 xml the files remain the same.

Not sure what my URL has to do with my question? I was hoping to see an answer so I can look into vB4.

It's just a piece of info that's useful for us to have for a variety of reasons - from being able to get an idea of the number/size of sites using or interested in our mods, to being able to cross-reference questions and such on a specific site and it lets us know the people looking for info aren't competitors of ours or people selling our mods as their own etc.

Just a bunch of little reasons that helps us do our job better by giving us more info if we need it - obviously it has other applications such as making it easier to debug an issue if it's a support post, but in the case of pre-sales it's mostly just data we find useful ^.^. Since it's not public and not "used" in any way there's no harm in providing it either, so it works out for everyone - you guys get questions etc answered and we get a little info on the type of sites using/interested in our products.

It's just a piece of info that's useful for us to have for a variety of reasons - from being able to get an idea of the number/size of sites using or interested in our mods, to being able to cross-reference questions and such on a specific site and it lets us know the people looking for info aren't competitors of ours or people selling our mods as their own etc.

Just a bunch of little reasons that helps us do our job better by giving us more info if we need it - obviously it has other applications such as making it easier to debug an issue if it's a support post, but in the case of pre-sales it's mostly just data we find useful ^.^. Since it's not public and not "used" in any way there's no harm in providing it either, so it works out for everyone - you guys get questions etc answered and we get a little info on the type of sites using/interested in our products.

ahh okay that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Thanks for updating that info. To upgrade DBT mods from vb3 to vb4 is simple, just import the vb4 xml instead of the vb3 xml the files remain the same.

Ah sounds great and easier than I thought.

I will try it out in my test board with my vb4 upgrade and see how it goes.

Still not fully sold on vB4 yet.

I was hesitant to go to vb4 also, but once I got used to it I like it better than vb3

I was hesitant to go to vb4 also, but once I got used to it I like it better than vb3

The problem I am always hearing is that it has a much higher load than vB3 and seems to have too many features packed in?

Although.. surprisngly I did a upgrade from vB3 to vB4 just now on my test server and the upgrade went smooth :confused:

Maybe they fixed it or something, because all I ever saw on vB.com was how horrible the upgrade was?

The major problem of course is having to spend lots of time restyling everything.

The problem I am always hearing is that it has a much higher load than vB3 and seems to have too many features packed in?

Although.. surprisngly I did a upgrade from vB3 to vB4 just now on my test server and the upgrade went smooth :confused:

Maybe they fixed it or something, because all I ever saw on vB.com was how horrible the upgrade was?

The major problem of course is having to spend lots of time restyling everything.

Never had any load issues with vb4, though perhaps way back at 4.0.0 when it was buggy as hell that was different - or maybe it's just that servers were much less powerful 2-3 years ago haha. The only issue i've found with vb4 is the one you mentioned - the styling is completely different, so skinning is a bit of a pain in the arse. Other than that I prefer it to 3.X to be honest. I use/admin a 3.8 site and this site daily and I find the 4.x site much easier to deal with.

Whenever any software is updated it always seems to be that the new version takes that much longer to loads, has that many unneeded features (which were requested by the community)... etc

Never had any load issues with vb4, though perhaps way back at 4.0.0 when it was buggy as hell that was different - or maybe it's just that servers were much less powerful 2-3 years ago haha. The only issue i've found with vb4 is the one you mentioned - the styling is completely different, so skinning is a bit of a pain in the arse. Other than that I prefer it to 3.X to be honest. I use/admin a 3.8 site and this site daily and I find the 4.x site much easier to deal with.

hmm so far I haven't found much difference in vB4 from testing it in a day or two.. what else feels different or easier? I know a few features here and there, which are easier

eg. multi quote without having to load a new page

Whenever any software is updated it always seems to be that the new version takes that much longer to loads, has that many unneeded features (which were requested by the community)... etc

I guess that is how it is now these days? We make more resource demanding software, because we have more powerful machines and years go by. I mean FB crashes on my 8 yr old PC LOL, but my 6 month PC handles it like no problem.

hmm so far I haven't found much difference in vB4 from testing it in a day or two.. what else feels different or easier? I know a few features here and there, which are easier

I personally enjoy quoting on the same page, revamped templates (developer thing), look and feel of the forums, the new editor, and various small things like moderation tool improvements.

I guess that is how it is now these days? We make more resource demanding software, because we have more powerful machines and years go by. I mean FB crashes on my 8 yr old PC LOL, but my 6 month PC handles it like no problem.
Yeah. Part of it may be that users aren't keeping up with the advancement of technology so they fall behind and thus while things may not run slower for the majority of people it does run slower for them because they aren't upgrading.

Pretty much the same stuff Jon has said above to be honest - just lots of little things that I find useful that aren't on vb3. Oh plus the fact there are more/better DBT mods for vb4 =D

Status
Not open for further replies.