Status
Not open for further replies.

neounix

Customer
Hey!

We are seeing "blank first posts" when a new thread is created since installing DBSEO. This happens occasionally, but not not rarely (we see is many times a day and now during holidays the forums are quiet).

We are not seeing PHP error or DB errors.

What seems to be happening is that a user created a new thread and then saves the thread; the pagetext is not written to the database.

However, if the thread or post is edited, the pagetext is saved.

This issues is only seen on the first post of a thread; and has only surfaced since installing DBSEO on the forum.

Any idea where or how this might be occurring within the DBSEO code base?

This would most likely happen on the postdata_presave hook. I'll need to see the actual page text attempting to be inserted in order to debug this further, though.

OBTW, many users just edit the thread after the blank pages appears and paste their text ... and it works if the post is being edited.. versus creating a new thread.

Sometimes the text is very simple .. no code.. sometimes code.

Is there a way to turn this off because when we are rewriting URLS, we don't need to process the pagetext.... right?

Our team is getting frustrated with all the new bugs appearing after DBSEO was installed, sorry.

Last edited:
Is there a way to turn this off because when we are rewriting URLS, we don't need to process the pagetext.... right?
No, that code converts BBCode like [POST] tags into tags to prepare for rewrites, and ..., I can only apologise for the inconvenience.

I'll write the code myself for DBSEO to stop processing pagetext.

We don't need our pagetext processed more than we need DBSEO to not break our basic functions like writing a new post, adding BBCODE to a URL.

I don't agree with you about your view toward "beta"...

DBSEO is breaking basic functions, many,, and we are spending nearly full time dealing with it.. and our moderators are weary of the broken-ness we "never had" before DBSEO.

It's kinda "too late" to simply "uninstall" as you suggest. Frankly, I'm disappointed in your replies. We are not running vB 3.8 and the problems we are seeing are not based on "variations" or plugins, they are simply flaws in the basic code to support 3.8.

I think I'll stop now.. because instead of enjoy the holidays, we are just debugging broken DBSEO code.. sorry to day.

:(

I'll write the code myself for DBSEO to stop processing pagetext.
You don't need to do that, you can disable the plugin mentioned above.

DBSEO is breaking basic functions, many,, and we are spending nearly full time dealing with it.. and our moderators are weary of the broken-ness we "never had" before DBSEO.
I'm sure you can understand that it's equally frustrating for me when I'm entirely unable to replicate these issues :(

I also re-requested access to your staging server as I forgot to transfer my saved FTP profiles onto my laptop, and I've not received this information yet.

Last edited:
Update: I'll add additional protection against "blank posts" in the next version, it would still be extremely helpful if I could see the page text of a post that got blanked out.

If it can be replicated 100% on that post (i.e., attempting to post the same post content in multiple separate threads would always result in them being blank) then I can fix it.

Actually, we have many examples of the pagetext... some are very simply with no code and no special chars.. others are full of code.

We do not see any pattern in the pagetext....

I suspect it's a problem in how cacheing is done; but honestly, I don't know the product well enough to guess.

I can add some logging code for debug on our main forum if you like.... Just tell me where and provide some error_log() style debug code.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Can it always be replicated on the same pagetext? i.e. if it blanks once, does it blank if someone tries to post another thread with the same contents? I really could use the answer to this question :)

If so, please post the pagetext here and I will attempt to replicate it.

If I cannot replicate it locally, I will need the access details for your staging server re-sent, otherwise I will not be able to assist further with this issue until around the 4th when I'm back home.

No... it cannot always be replicated with the same pagetext.

As mentioned... it can happen with a short phrase.. it can happen or it will not happen.. it is intermediate...

As I have mentioned, it would be best for us to add debugging logging code.... our users report this problem often.

When the create a new thread.. is is blank.. is is NOT related to the pagetext...

The user can then "hit the back button" and save or cut and paste in an edited post, and it is fine.

DEBUG logging code is best for us.... honestly.

Did you try disabling the postdata_presave hook as suggested earlier? RC1 also has additional protection in place to avoid blank pagetexts from being inserted, has that not helped?

No. We did not disable that hook...... we are going to do a "wait and see" now that rc1 is installed and running on the main site.

Thanks again and Happy New Year 2014!

Darn it! RC1 did not fix this problem... (see attached)

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 11.33.42 PM.png

Users still reporting "blanks"...

I wish i knew the right place to add some logging code to debug this!

Bro... something in DBSEO is writing to our MYSQL pagetext field and often blanking out posts.

I need to stop this, even if it means not rewriting any URLs in side of a post message!

In this file:

dbseo/hooks/threadfpdata_presave.php

I want to comment this line out because it is writing to the pagetext field in our DB, right?

PHP:
        // And finally set the message back
        //$this->do_set('pagetext', $message, 'post');

Please bro.. I do not want DBSEO writing to our post table pagetext field post.pagetext for any reason, until this bug is figured out.

I am sure we can turn this off, and still have DBSEO rewrite the forum URLS without writing to pagetext.

Will this line stop DBSEO writing to pagetext?

and also this line in this file?

PHP:
postdata_presave.php:	$this->do_set('pagetext', $message);

is this also writing to our database pagetext field?

I have commented these lines out in the two files mentioned.

What is the effect of commenting these lines out?

(so far, we see no changes)

Commenting out those two lines will prevent the "Link Titles - External URLs" feature from working, nothing more. I will add additional code to the next version to ensure blank messages do not get written to the DB.

Thanks..

But where can I comment out your DBSEO code to insure DBSEO is not writing to our post.pagetext field now.

We don't need our pagetext db field written to.. especially since its causing problems.

Thanks

OBTW.... just did this query:

select threadid, postid,userid from post where pagetext = '' ORDER BY postid ASC

Results: 38 (2.1179s), Page 1 of 2

It's a regular "blank out our pagetext monster'...... that's why I need to stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back