Status
Not open for further replies.

bzcomputers

Customer
Being that the URL rewrite history is handled in the background without any user settings (from what I can tell), what happens when I spend a couple hours setting up DBSEO initially to get the settings the way I want?

This may happen on initial install of DBSEO or the install of another DBSEO addon product. I'd hate to think that since I changed something 5 times over a 10 minute period while setting it up that the history was saved for those urls even if they only existed for a couple minutes.

Is there something in place to deal with this? If not can can something be put in place like a "clear any history changes for last hour/day"?

--------------

Edit: Looking at the database it doesn't appear a time is saved with the history data. Maybe that could be added and then you could allow a user the option to clear history - "Clear Last Hour Of History", "Clear Last Day Of History", etc.

Last edited:
It is true that initial setup would mean (potentially) lots of entries in the DB. However, it's less of an issue considering none of that code (most importantly, none of the DB queries) run unless DBSEO is at a loss as to what page the user is on.

It's also a factor that, during this initial setup - unless the forum was deactivated from the global vBOptions, some spiders may have found their way onto the forum. If that happened, and they got a hold of some of the default DBSEO URLs (or some temporary custom ones that the admin was collecting feedback from his staff on), this forum would benefit from the history.

Considering there's a limited number of possible combinations, even having a bunch of unused entries shouldn't cause any issues, as each URL should always be unique enough to not conflict with other potential URLs.
i.e., it'd be a bad idea to have forum URLs be [forum_id]-[forum_title]/ and vBDownloads category URLs be [category_id]-[category_title]/ as the system would have no way of telling the two apart. Adding f- and c- before the IDs would help distinguish the URLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.