Status
Not open for further replies.

Webbstre

Customer
I'm not sure if this is possible, or if I'll have to edit a plugin or something, but how do I make the shoutbox appear above the footer on all pages? A quick search shows that only putting it in the navbar actually works, but my navigation area is a bit full at the moment so I'm thinking of moving it down to the bottom. Any suggestions on how to do this?

To put vBShout in a custom location, do the following:

Step 1: AdminCP -> DBTech - vBShout-> Instance Management -> [Edit].

Step 2: Change the Auto-Display Shoutbox setting to Disabled.

Step 3: Write down the the Varname setting. For the default shoutbox, it's instance1. The rest of this guide will assume you replace instance1 with the actual Varname if it is different.

Step 4: Enter the Style Manager and add either {vb:raw show.vbshout_instance1} (vB4) or {$show[vbshout_instance1]} (vB3) to the templates you wish the shoutbox to appear in.

Follow these steps as described and you will have total control over the position of the Shoutbox.
Please note that some locations may not work as intended on vBulletin 3.8, and also note that it is not designed to go in the Forum Blocks side-bar (vBulletin 4).

Hope that helps :)

Yeah, I've seen that copy-pasted everywhere, but I've tried adding that bit of code in the places I want it but it simply won't show up unless it goes in the navbar template.

I'm not sure if it'd work, but try the Footer template.

If it doesn't, then there is no way, unfortunately, short of manually adding it to every template that uses the footer :(

Ouch, sad panda here :( So there's no way to make it load from a different template that appears globally? It seems kind of... contrary to the whole "total control over the position of the Shoutbox" If you are stuck in the forum home or just the header.

You're not stuck in forum home or the header :)

There are simply certain templates that vB will load before the Shoutbox code can load, which makes hooking into those templates impossible. These templates are the header, headinclude and footer templates :)

I do not know of another template that is loaded globally.

I see.... Hmm.... Would it be possible to add the shoutbox code in the footer as well? Or would that likely slow down the whole site?

No, it's not possible period. The footer template renders when the shoutbox template is rendered. Thus, saving the rendered shoutbox template into a variable that can be placed in the footer template is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBShout

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back