GoodApples

Customer
vBSidekick Slider

Slide opens after a user clicks on
"X" amount of pages which admin sets.

Target certain blogs, articles, threads

Option to Close it :)

nytimes_com.jpg

From what it looks like to me, once you get down to the bottom of the article, the box slides out giving you a link to the next article. I could see it being more useful to pop out and list 3-4 similar topics instead of just a single link to the next article...

Brad via Tapatalk

I like the similar topics idea. :D

Also maybe some settings something like this...

Frequency
Once every x pages. (If 5, vBSidekick Slider will be displayed once every 5 page views)

Random Selection
Random selection from Forum. (If 5, the news displayed will be a random item from the top 5 hottest topics in the Forum)

Random Selection
Random selection from Blog. (If 5, the news displayed will be a random item from the top 5 hottest topics viewed in the Blogs

Custom Selection...
Similar Topics...

The NYTimes one actually comes out at the end of EVERY article. At first I didn't think it did, but I realized the article I was looking at was 2 pages. Once I got to the end of the 2nd page, the box popped out.

If "I" was going to code it, I'd probably make it slide out everytime. Why? As I'm browsing through a forum, I would probably want to see similar topics for each thread (blog?) I am reading, so if I wanted to find out more about said topic, its immediately available. If it wasn't every thread, there is a chance that the one item you want to know more about doesn't have a popout showing similar items. It appears they are strictly using it to give the reader a link to the next article (articles are based on time published), so that the reader doesn't have to go back, or scroll to the top, etc.

The NYTimes one actually comes out at the end of EVERY article.
If "I" was going to code it, I'd probably make it slide out everytime.

I believe the NY one may only start to pop out once your reading each...longer articles.
If it slid out everytime It would drive people crazy reading shorter pieces. That's why an option for Frequency. :)

Me personally, I hate those boxes popping up around the site. But I can see alot of people liking it. It defiantly wold have to have a frequency setting as well as a user setting to not show them, probably based on usergroup permissions.

Well you could set it to 30, 50 or higher for the Frequency then when it pops up you might say hey was that...:p

user setting...well okay if the Admin can disable that option.
show them, probably based on usergroup permissions. that would be okay too. :cool:

an option to close on the slider would be good too. (see first post image - it's there)

Back