Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptah

Customer
Hi,

I don't think the product is behaving as expected under several scenarios.

I'll try to break down the scenario as briefly but completely as I can. Sorry if I miss something, as such.

Note: I'll only be covering the permissions that I'm actually interested in applying on my forum (ie, I have no use for "Moderate Posts" or "Moderate Attachments", etc).

Versions of Things
vBulletin 4.2.2
This Mod: 2.0.9

Setup: The Basic Group Permissions
All grantee users are in a group which has the following (minimally relevant?) permissions set at the group level

threadmins-gp.jpg

Setup: The Forum-Group Permissions
The particular forum at hand has its permissions for this group configured like so:

threadmins-fp.jpg

Threadmin

So, when adding Thread-Admin permissions to a user in the above group (as their primary and only group assignment), for a thread in the above forum, this is how it behaves.

Note: these behaviors are the same whether Thread-Admin permissions are applied to the member who started the thread, or to any other member in the same group. Also, this is in the absence of any User Thread permissions applied.

• Edit Posts / Can Edit Posts
    • grantee sees "Edit Post" under posts by other members, as expected
    • grantee can actually edit them, as expected.
  • Delete Posts / Can Delete Posts
    • grantee sees checkboxes for each post, and "Moderation Tools"->"Delete Posts...", as expected
    • grantee can actually select and delete posts, as expected
  • Open/Close / Can Open/Close Threads
    • grantee sees "Administrative"->"Close Thread", as expected
    • grantee can't actually close a thread, instead met with the "you do not have permissions" page
    • (same applies to "Open" if the thread is already closed)
    • expectation: grantee should be able to close (and re-open) a thread?
  • Edit Threads / Can Edit Threads
    • grantee sees "Administrative"->"Edit Thread", as expected
    • grantee can't actually edit a thread, instead met with the "you do not have permissions" page
    • (same applies even if attempting to pair this permission with granting say, Open/Close and/or Manage Threads permissions, at the same timel)
    • expectation: grantee should be able to edit a thread (ei, its title, icon, etc)?
  • Manage Threads / Can Manage Threads
    • grantee sees "Administrative"->"(Move, Copy, Stick, Merge, Remove Directs) Thread", as expected?
    • grantee can't actually perform any of these actions on a thread, instead met with the "you do not have permissions" page
    • expectation: grantee should be able to perform management operations on a thread?

User Threads

So, when adding User Thread permissions to a user in the above group (as their primary and only group assignment), for (threads they create in) the above forum, this is how it behaves.

Note: these behaviors are while in the absence of any Thread Admin permissions applied.

• Edit
    • grantee sees "Edit Post" under posts by other members (other than those who are effectively "Immune"), as expected
    • grantee can actually edit such posts, as expected.
  • Delete
    • When grantee also has Edit permission
      • grantee sees the "Delete" button after having clicked "Edit Post"
      • grantee can actually delete posts, as expected
    • When grantee DOES NOT also have Edit Permission
      • grantee sees nothing enabling them to delete posts by others?
    • expectation: grantee should be able to delete other's posts regardless of whether they also have the Edit permission?
    • Interpretation: under this behavior, it seems that it is not possible to enable thread-starters to delete other's posts without also having the power to edit them?
    • commentary: if I understand this correctly, this is somewhat undesirable behavior...
    • grantee sees nothing enabling them to sticky or unsticky their own threads?
    • expectation: grantee should be able to sticky/unsticky their own threads? (such as by "Administrative"->"Stick Thread", etc)
  • Close
    • grantee sees nothing enabling them to close (or re-open) their own threads?
    • expectation: grantee should be able to close (or re-open) their own threads? (such as by "Administrative"->"Open/Close Thread", etc)

FWIW, I wondered if the fact I'm using "Custom Permissions" for the group and forum at hand had anything to do with it, so I tried it with "Default" permissions... and I get all the same behaviors as above.

Perhaps I misunderstand the intended functionality here, or there's a bug, or I've configured something incorrectly, or I'm missing something else entirely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome information here Ptah, the detail will help a lot in tracing where issues might lie.

Firstly, regarding the User Threads, they seem to be behaving as expected. As of version 2 of Threadmins, user's with User Thread's permissions can only delete, sticky or close from within the advanced edit on a post/thread. When including the Threadmins (Thread Admins) permissions we felt it's permissions would cover where user's actually needed more of the powerful access that the Administrative Tools menu and inline moderating provides.

Regarding the Threadmins (Thread Admins) issues, I'll do some more testing to see if I can recreate the problem within my dev environment. Do you have any other mods running that also affect moderating permissions with threads? It might be a possible conflict that's causing the no permissions errors.

Firstly, regarding the User Threads, they seem to be behaving as expected. As of version 2 of Threadmins, user's with User Thread's permissions can only delete, sticky or close from within the advanced edit on a post/thread. When including the Threadmins (Thread Admins) permissions we felt it's permissions would cover where user's actually needed more of the powerful access that the Administrative Tools menu and inline moderating provides.

Ok, that helps clear up my misunderstanding of the expected behavior of the User Threads permissions. Thank you! :)

To get what I'm looking for, then, I'll rely on the Threadmin permissions, instead.

Do you have any other mods running that also affect moderating permissions with threads? It might be a possible conflict that's causing the no permissions errors.

Just for reference here:

I don't believe so. I have only a few other mods installed. DragonByte's own vbShout and User Tagging/Mentions, and a small community one that just adds some easier access (links) to moderator tools for mods (nothing permissions-manipulating, in other words).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Threadmins and Group Moderators

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
Mokonzi
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back