cykelmyggen

Customer
As the well known GARS review system seems to be abandoned many users are in serious need of a review system which kan be applied to existing forums. If DBT could make something similar or maybe take over this part of thevbgeekfor a cheap price I think you could make a healthy business of it.
I know that there has been some talk about a new Review content type at the CMS-part of vb 4, but nothing has been decided - and besides the functionalities would differ a lot from GARS as far as I can see.

Taking over other peoples mods isn't really something we do, but if you want to suggest a mod and the essential features as you see them, I'll definetely take a look, and see if it's something i can add to and put the DBTech touch to =)

Cosmic

As I'm not a coder I don't know the exact specifications on the GARS mod, but it adds some formatting and functionalities to my existing (review-)forums.

If you would make a Review-mod it should have the following functionalities:

Reviewer can rate the items reviewed
Other users can rate the items reviewed
Show a small image of item reviewed
Show a larger image of item reviewed
Show newest item reviewed
Show reviewers latest x reviews
My favorite reviews
Changes normal look of forum
Ability to change the parameters in the rating from forum to forum
Search for reviews by rating
Integration with vBActivity
As my sites is a book review site:
Fields:
Title
Author
Publisher
Publishing Year
Author homepage
Admin should be able to edit all aspects of reviews an to publish review on behalf of user.

You could probably fill in more functionalities, but this is pretty much the basic stuff

There is a wiki on GARS open for all, where the functionalities of this mod is explained more thoroughly:
http://www.thevbgeek.com/geeki/index.php/Category:GARS

Here's a couple of links to my forums with GARS enabled - not that it has to look exactly like this, but for inspirational purposes:

http://www.boggnasker.dk/vbforum/fantasy/
http://www.boggnasker.dk/vbforum/fa...nger-john-flanagan-skyggens-laerling-8-a.html

Last edited:
=) That kinda thing is fine.

As i said, we won't be copying the GARS features, so instead just explain in english how you would want it to work (The featurelist you presented was fine) ^.^

Basically I just want to be able to chose a number of existing forums which graphically can be changed roughly like the ones shown on the two links from my site provided - and containing the functionalities described in the features list. Don't know what else you want me to describe?

I have been looking at ReviewPost too - but this isn't applicable to existing forums - You have to start from scratch!

BTW: Don't know if You are following this thread on vbulletin.com proving the need for such a mod!

Last edited:
As a heads we're in discussion of a Review mod and i'm sure that if we agree on it we'll be making something far more awesome than GARS and we'll try and accomodate what your after. i'm sure either myself or Cosmic will keep you posted as time progresses. its something i want us to look into :)

Hopefully You will decide to get on with this - many people are stuck with vb 3.8. due to lack of review mods on vb 4.

Just some update info on GARS:
It seems like the vbgeek.com has startet releasing vb 4 versions of their software after a very long period with no sign of life. Until now 2 products has been updated, but so far no announcements on wether updates will include GARS.

Morgan has let her self down too much. I don't think I would ever spend another cent of my money over there again after the way she has treated the customers over there since taking it over from thegeek.
On the other hand, I would be much more interested in seeing what they come up with here. My only concern is that they may start to take on more then they can handle here. I think they have a lot planned already for this place.

Morgan has let her self down too much. I don't think I would ever spend another cent of my money over there again after the way she has treated the customers over there since taking it over from thegeek.
On the other hand, I would be much more interested in seeing what they come up with here. My only concern is that they may start to take on more then they can handle here. I think they have a lot planned already for this place.
Agreed - I have much more confidence in DBT than vbgeek. Still Morgan hasn't made any explanations regarding the missing support/updates during many many months - this doesn't call for further investment in her products if alternatives are at hand.

As a heads we're in discussion of a Review mod and i'm sure that if we agree on it we'll be making something far more awesome than GARS and we'll try and accomodate what your after. i'm sure either myself or Cosmic will keep you posted as time progresses. its something i want us to look into :)
Any news on this?
There are a lot people demanding a reviews system, I'm too used the gars system but lost all faith in products from thevbgeeks.
It would be great if there could be anything like iReviews from vbcovers.com.

It's in the queue, but theres quite a few things in front of it unfortunately =(

I'll post in here when we have news.

Is this still in the que somewhere...?

Still in the queue, along with about 10 other mods, a lot of it depends on a coder with the relevant amount of time free deciding what particular project they want to work on, so there's no set timeframe for any particular mod unfortunately.

Cosmic

I must admit I've worn my fingers to the bone typing in all kinds of keywords in Google trying to find a review/article mod.

What I'd like to see featured is the means to add an image/video with a star rating system and the ability for people to comment. This has so many uses: videos, movies, cds, downloads, programs, you name it.

Combine this with an article creation facility so people can write reviews and have them rated and commented upon and you would crack the major requirements for me.

You can do most of this with a thread, but it looks tacky and people generally don't bother to use the thread rating system.

With a dedicated mod you can list the items open for review and comment along with their rating and a brief description, click on a link/image and you're taken to the full article/review item.

That's just off the top of my head - but it's the type of thing I would be looking for.

Hope to see something soon-ish ;)

Back