Status
Not open for further replies.

g00gl3r

Customer
I'm a pro customer but can't seem to access pro forum.

Switched from VBSEO to DBSEO on 4.2.2.

Thread URL's are fine.
SOME Forum URL's are not loading, instead they redirect to homepage to throw 404 depending on which setting I opt for.

I found changing the name of the forum, then clearing cache, then changing name back, and clearing cache again, seemed to get a couple to work (or appear to), but many are still not working.

Can anybody help?

Please try re-downloading the mod, re-uploading the files and then clearing the system cache in the DBSEO CP again.

This issue will also be permafixed in Monday's release :)

Sound.

Also having loads of problems with tapatalk, will that be related?

And final one: is your likes system not compatible with tapatalk?

I don't know if any Tapatalk problems would be related.

Our APTL currently does not work with Tapatalk, but according to the latest news they are considering integrating it :)

Okay the re-downloaded files have been uploaded, I've flushed cache, and still doing it.

It seems to do it on specific forums.

Is there a temporary work around?
What's actually causing this?

My forums load "Page Not Found" and have done for a few days now and I'm worried about this contributing to SERP drops for forum categories.

I'm unable to replicate this issue on your forum, the URL you posted as the "old URL" is what I am seeing on your forum.

I've had to change the name of the forum category so it matches the old URL style.

For Sale & Wanted | Tilers Forums
this is one with an "and" in it.

Never used to have.

I don't think it had a "for" in it either thinking about it.
I have a forum called Tile Adhesive and Grout, and I've had to change the name of it to Tile Adhesive Grout which doesn't make sense to the tilers (tile setters) on the forum. But I'd rather keep some forum URL's in Google so had to do this. It's screwed my forum right up this change as. I wish I'd have had access to this forum before purchasing so I could see the amount of errors people are having with this software that's in its infancy.

:(

I wish I'd have kept the obsolete VBSEO but the damage has been done now.

Hopefully we'll be able to fix it as best we can but I need your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is working as intended. When you don't use the forum ID in your URL structure, stopwords should not be filtered from the forum title.

We discovered that filtering stopwords when IDs are not included causes numerous issues across the forum, and we have taken steps to prevent this from happening.

If you change your forum URLs to a format that includes the forum ID, old URLs will automatically redirect to the new format. For performance and compatibility reasons, we recommend adding IDs to every format.

So actually, importing VBSEO settings doesn't actually work then?

I was on the understanding that you could use the exact same URL's as prior with VBSEO, is that not actually correct then?

There seems to be a thread I found where a guy had the issue when logged in, but it worked fine when logged out. And you'd replied saying it was some issue with "normal" and chronological redirects or something. And you were working on a fix.

I'm guessing you reverted from that idea now?

How did VBSEO do it?

So actually, importing VBSEO settings doesn't actually work then?
Yes it does. When you import from vBSEO, you import your configuration, and that is working fine :)

I was on the understanding that you could use the exact same URL's as prior with VBSEO, is that not actually correct then?
You can. The URL structure is identical, but the rewritten titles for certain pieces of content changed in v1.0.9 due to a bug that was first discovered with v1.0.8. In certain scenarios, it would be impossible to resolve URLs that did not contain IDs if the titles were constructed a certain way.

To put it another way: You are lucky that you did not run into this issue with forum titles & vBSEO, if your forum titles had been different in some ways then you too would have ran into this bug.

Example: Let's say you have two forums, one called "Which Tile To Use" and one called "Tile Use". The first forum is for members to ask for advice on the best tile set for their chosen decoration, and the second forum is for showcasing their finished work.

In all versions of DBSEO prior to v1.0.9, both these forums would generate the URL "tile-use", due to the fact that "which" and "to" are stopwords. Therefore, if you do not use forum IDs in your forum URL formats, both forum links would be identical, and thus it would only let you browse the forum that's displayed first.
I can't speak to whether this would also have been an issue in vBSEO, but I would assume so.

This issue was discovered in Albums, where collision is far more likely than forum titles. I tested this with forum titles as well, and discovered that the same issue applied. In fact, it applies to every URL format that does not mandate an ID. For that reason, I changed the code so that stopwords would no longer be filtered from titles if IDs are missing from URL formats. This vastly reduces the chance of conflicts.

If you have an alternative solution, then I would be more than happy to hear it :)

Exactly, and that is a problem we would like to avoid. Understandably, not everyone would think that they had two forums with names that would end up generating the same URLs. It's not the first thing that would come to my mind, either.

We would be wasting the time of both our customers and myself by tracking down an easily preventable issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back