Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSlippy

Customer
Ok first thing is the java script is not compressed. Vbulletin follows the standard of compressing all of its java script and there is no reason to not follow suit for your modification.

Second issue, duplication of java script? I have not actually read through the code by is it possible to use the java script calls already done by vbulletin to insert smilies, color picker etc?

Third there are just to many java script files. Most browser clients only make 2 connections to the server for each HTTP request, there is 6 java script files. That is 3 more requests the server and the client needs to make. These really need to be in one java script file.

Fourth, please follow the standards of vbulletin and put java script and css files where they belong. I know its easier to keep your files in one directory but for those who optimize their vbulletin having to hack the shoutbox code is just another step I know I would personally rather avoid. I personally compress all my java script and css into single files to reduce load times/server overhead. By keeping this in the standard directories I can one shot compress it into one file and save my clients load time overall.

Following these standards can help improve the speed of the shoutbox.

This has been posted before and the answer is still the same: I won't compress it until it's feature complete so that it's easier to release new updates.

vBulletin's JS files are not reusable.

They are in separate files because not every file needs to be loaded in 100% of cases.

Both me and my users prefer easier install and easier locating of files than easier batch compression.

Just going to add that I done my own little seperate feasability study into this a while ago - the gains are so incredibly tiny that they're not worth the potential (and in some ways likely) confusion it may present users.

Truth is that if you're installing a shoutbox, the differences are physically unnoticable. an extra .001 of a second or whatever saved will have no effect on...well... anyone really =)

Making the shoutbox more VBO integrated will provide much bigger gains, and is something we hope to do in the future =)

Status
Not open for further replies.