Status
Not open for further replies.

Mv.c9

Customer
Ok this is a hard one. Im loosing 1000s of visits everyday because my system is not as informative as my new rival, and for now it seems im loosing the game -- yes, sad in deed.

anyway, since vbdownloads wont be updated in probably 10 weeks or so, i need to somehow implement this. and I hope this one is not as hard as it sounds.

I am looking to change the "category description" to "file count" as in number of files within a category and its subcategories. for instance:

a category has 7 sub-categories.
each of these 7 categories have 10 files each.

now i want on the main page where all the main categories are showing to say "70 files" while the sub-categories each would say 10 files.

now if there is a way to just add a new column in order to avoid any major bugs, then it would be great. I saw the PHPmyAdmin, and I saw that the concept was possible. with a simple file count that belong to certain category the number should be easily returned.

anyway, any help would be extremely useful and i would be twice as greatful.

if i cant get this to work i might have to close down my site, and i wont be able to purchase any of those juicy addons DBtech is preparing and making with so much effort.

it says the question was asked, i used the search function and searched every possible combination that would give me anything related to changing column names. there was nothing, but if it has been asked before can you redirect me to the "answered" thread ??? or copy paste it here ?

If I get a few minutes this morning I'll see if I can think of a solution... but I'm almost certain it will involve core file changes.

I've looked over this, and I can't see an easy way of making this work, and my skills as a coder are limited, and too weak to attempt this. I would suggest that you make it a feature request. In the meantime, why not update your description for each category with the amount of files in each?

it says the question was asked, i used the search function and searched every possible combination that would give me anything related to changing column names. there was nothing, but if it has been asked before can you redirect me to the "answered" thread ??? or copy paste it here ?
An "Asked" status just means that an answer has not yet been found in this thread. Every question thread is set to that status by default.

Could you do as Mokonzi said and post this as a feature request! :)

why not update your description for each category with the amount of files in each?

LoL :)

An "Asked" status just means that an answer has not yet been found in this thread. Every question thread is set to that status by default.

Could you do as Mokonzi said and post this as a feature request! :)

Thanks, but unfortunately I simply do not have the time for feature request, I said the whole FUTURE of my site depends on this few issues. the whole purpose is gone, in 10 weeks, this will do me no good. my site has reduced from 4000-5000 users a day to 3000 only.

I have around 50 feature requests, but it will do me no good if the chance that any are considered is less that 60% and the time for it to get considered is at least 2 months -- let alone the development time which i think would be a long time.

anyway, thanks, I guess I have no choice, if there is no answer then I must look for some other methods until any of these issue get even considered.

but about the logic i meant, is that cant we use the same logic that tells you how many downloads are in total (which is on the main download page) and implement them on each category ?

Last edited:
but about the logic i meant, is that cant we use the same logic that tells you how many downloads are in total (which is on the main download page) and implement them on each category ?

Likely so, but as my skills are limited I can't suggest a way of doing it. Maybe David can give you some directions to consider on it.

Unfortunately my time is wrapped up in vBNotifications development which is due for a beta release next Friday :(

Unfortunately my time is wrapped up in vBNotifications development which is due for a beta release next Friday :(

well, next friday is a week, imagine a week or two after that, would be a total of 3 weeks. which is far better than 6. if what you say implies at a promiss that you will come back at vbdownloads in 3 weeks, then I will find every 700 posts you made and click thanks on it. and also Ill go purchasing for life license. but if not, then maybe at that point (2 or 3 weeks from now) you could give me a temporary solution to fix it.

well, next friday is a week, imagine a week or two after that, would be a total of 3 weeks. which is far better than 6. if what you say implies at a promiss that you will come back at vbdownloads in 3 weeks, then I will find every 700 posts you made and click thanks on it. and also Ill go purchasing for life license. but if not, then maybe at that point (2 or 3 weeks from now) you could give me a temporary solution to fix it.
But next Friday I meant the coming one in 3 days. After that I'll be preparing for gold release and moving on to my next task after that. I'll see if I can slot this in in between.

But next Friday I meant the coming one in 3 days. After that I'll be preparing for gold release and moving on to my next task after that. I'll see if I can slot this in in between.

I know you also have a seperate job so I understand your situation, and I wont force you to do it, nor is your duty to add anything on users whims, your personal time is as precious as any, you are a human being and cant work 24/7 (even if you can you shouldn't) go watch a movie and have fun

-- only and I mean only if you were free and had nothing to do but watching flys wonder about, then see if it is at all within your frame to do this particular feature.

but again, I know how tight your schedule is, and how you have to work all the time, and barely have any left for your self, so this is only when you got bored with something and wanted to go for something new. like you say to your self, "hey, I think I'm Bored with [insert boring task], how about adding a few columns to vbdownloads just for laughs".

anyway hope you do well with vbnotifications, i can see there is alot to it left some issues are not working and i know they take time to fix. so i wont bother you for a while until the next issue shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBDownloads

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings