Question Users don't show active unless they're shouting

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnedarn

Customer
Hello, it seems that users do not show as active in the shoutbox unless they are shouting. I have no "(Pro) Disabled Activity Triggers " selected and even tried having everyone auto idle but even un-flagging doesn't seem to add me to the active users list either. Am I missing something?
Thanks!
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This can happen if you have a very low (but above 0) "Idle Timeout" setting. Every time you perform an activity that would get you added to the active users list, vBShout will "de-active" any users who have been inactive for longer than twice the Idle Timeout setting.

For example, an Idle Timeout setting of 5 seconds means any users who have not performed some form of action for 10 seconds will be considered inactive and not show up in the list.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks! When you talk about idle timeout, are you talking about the forum's session timeout? I have that set to 1800 seconds.
And idle timeout in vbshout instance editing is 720 so neither are really low. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Hmm... The only other reason I can think of is that your users may have marked themselves as invisible. The little indicator in in the left hand corner of the editor tools for the SB, if that's yellow it means the user has flagged themselves as invisible.

Strange, I had that on for maybe a day or two... but it's been off ever since. So I don't think that's it either.

I just noticed there was a new version, so I installed that... Then I put a sticky note up and reloaded the page and that didn't cause me to show as active either. I also changed the two times I mentioned above by 1 second to see if it triggered any change. *shrug*

I've registered @ your site to try to see this issue in action, my username's Fillip H. and is stuck in moderation queue before I can shout :)

I'm unable to replicate this issue @ your site. I clicked the B button to change my font weight to bold (even though I had never shouted), and I showed up in the Active Users list.

Well, yes those actions do activate a user. I'm trying to find a more passive way of it showing people since it doesn't just show people that pass through the home page.
I just turned back on the everyone is auto idle, and clicking that doesn't make them show as active? So I guess that's the next thing to look at? Or Is there any other way to get them to show more passively?

It just seems with the old shoutbox by someone else it would show people that were just on the home page, so people were more likely to say hello even if those people had already moved onto a page (but generally ended up coming back to the home page at some point and then join the conversation)

Ah, that's not a feature of the mod unfortunately :(

The user will need to perform some form of action such as changing their font or something like that to be flagged as active, sorry :(

In the pro disable activity triggers, the option for un-idling is there.. doesn't that indicate that if they un-idle they should show as active?

While we are at it, I also see in the "disabled activity triggers" section
1) "Fetch Sticky", does that mean if I have a sticky shout that when that shout loads (aka they view it) it would make them show as active? (it doesn't)
2) "Join Chat" what does that mean if the chat is just the default chat on the home page? I assume this is only for additional chats?

1) "Fetch Sticky", does that mean if I have a sticky shout that when that shout loads (aka they view it) it would make them show as active? (it doesn't)
No. That is the controller for when you double-click the Sticky notice to edit it.
2) "Join Chat" what does that mean if the chat is just the default chat on the home page? I assume this is only for additional chats?
Correct, it only happens when you receive an invitation to join a chat room (admin created chat rooms that work by user group ID do not count), and you accept it.

Update: Sorry for the extreme delay, I've looked into this in more detail and found the "Tab Switching" activity trigger was not checked anywhere. This will be resolved in the next version :)

Hello adnedarn,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Answered.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBShout

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings