Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan_SP

Customer
When showing all threads of a forum, we can give threadmins rights only to thread starters. It is ok, but if I enter user name at the top of interface, it would be good that thread starter's name is exchanged for that user's name.

For example, if I give thread ID and user name, this user will become threadmin. This is how I make threadmin from back end at the moment.

But, if I list all threads, I couldn't easily give threadmin rights to any user. If you enable that giving user name and listing all threads in certain forum list user names for that thread also, instead thread starter's name, this would be very big plus to back end of threadmins.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
When showing all threads of a forum, we can give threadmins rights only to thread starters. It is ok, but if I enter user name at the top of interface, it would be good that thread starter's name is exchanged for that user's name.

For example, if I give thread ID and user name, this user will become threadmin. This is how I make threadmin from back end at the moment.

But, if I list all threads, I couldn't easily give threadmin rights to any user. If you enable that giving user name and listing all threads in certain forum list user names for that thread also, instead thread starter's name, this would be very big plus to back end of threadmins.

The mod lets you search via the username of the thread starter, but you can choose to have a different username entered in the list to check their permissions against, not just the thread starter's.

While it would be nice if we could list every user from the thread... longer threads would make that very complex and I'm not sure we can gather the data into the table in a user friendly way. If you can explain what you mean in more detail perhaps using a chart for me or a screenshot I might be able to see more clearly what you are wanting adding and I might be able to work from that :)

PS, thanks for the feedback as it helps me see just how users need the mod to work to best effect. :)

Here's the image to help me explain better what I wanted to say:

image005z.png

Now, with 1 you choose some forum, and as you see in the picture, list automatically gives thread starters user name (shown with 3). But, what if we would be able to use field shown with 2, give some user name there? It would be good if in this case, instead using thread starters name on position 3, that mod uses user name given in field shown with 2.

So, if we don't enter anything in 2, at 3 we have thread starter.
If we enter valid username in 2, at 3 we have given username and we can then easily give threadmin rights to this user.

I hope this could be achieved, but if you ask me, I'd prefer using front end to give threadmin rights to users. Don't like to work too much in ACP if I don't have to. :) But, of course, I think this system I suggest here (hopefully well enough) would make things easier and faster for admins to work from back end.

Of course, now I could get threadID, enter it in its place (without figure on my picture) and use some username. But, this is second step. Not too big of a problem. But it could be easier, more logical (at least to me).

EDIT: Sorry for the image, on my screen it looked somewhat bigger. Here's link without placing it on your system, now it is much bigger and easier to read:

image005z.png

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm following the problem. Ok, the input below number #1 would let you narrow down the threads to the threads starter you want (which I assume you know).

What #3 is showing is only the username of the thread starter... and the check boxes for each thread then match the permissions of the user you've entered into #2 . If you remove the username from #2 and load you'll notice the check boxes become inactive.

I do think I understand what you are suggesting, but if I'm following you correctly what you are wanting wouldn't really be practicable. I might be able to make it slightly clearer as to who's permissions you are entering for the next update, but it would be more cosmetic than anything else. :)

Ok, I think I'm following the problem. Ok, the input below number #1 would let you narrow down the threads to the threads starter you want (which I assume you know).

Yes, if I know whose threads I want to look for. If I only know thread name and not thread starter, I still need to look for that information on different places.

What #3 is showing is only the username of the thread starter... and the check boxes for each thread then match the permissions of the user you've entered into #2 . If you remove the username from #2 and load you'll notice the check boxes become inactive.

I do think I understand what you are suggesting, but if I'm following you correctly what you are wanting wouldn't really be practicable. I might be able to make it slightly clearer as to who's permissions you are entering for the next update, but it would be more cosmetic than anything else. :)

Do I understand it correctly, that number 3 is just info to tell who the thread starter is, and that information given in number 2 defines to whom we are giving threadmin rights? If that is so, then it is ok. This is what I'm asking. I thought that number 3 shows to whom I'll give threadmin rights, not just info about who thread starter is.

Do I understand it correctly, that number 3 is just info to tell who the thread starter is, and that information given in number 2 defines to whom we are giving threadmin rights? If that is so, then it is ok. This is what I'm asking. I thought that number 3 shows to whom I'll give threadmin rights, not just info about who thread starter is.

Yes, that is how it works. :)

Ok, but this is a bit confusing. It looks now like we're giving threadmin rights to user whose name is there. Maybe if you write something in that direction, that we're giving threadmin rights to user we give in field number two, not to thread starter? This could explain this better.

I'll look at making some tweaks for the next update to make it clearer (changing phrases). :)

I've made the changes to the Threadmins and Group Admins sections for the next update. It will now display the actual search criteria helping make it clearer who is the thread/discussion starter, and the user permissions are being added to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back