What To Do When a User Asks to Have Their Account Removed

CharlieDelta

Customer
Have any of you been asked by a user to have their account removed from your forum? Have you done so?
What if it is not the user at all and someone being malicious?

What are some of the procedures or personal policies you have with regards to such a request?

Due to the Data protection act in effect in the UK, companies or sites holding info about a user must comply with the users request to have their data removed or edited, however you should always ask for some sort of proof that the person is genuine to avoid removing the data for them.

Obviously if you don't live in the UK your countries rules will be in effect so you'd need to know what they were, i'm not 100% sure if the law in the UK applies to none businesses but i would of thought so.

Well from time to time this does happen..I have had a couple here and there myself..even had one with over 3,500 posts that wanted all his posts and threads removed as well..If the user is certain that this is what they want then depending on your countries laws there might not be much you can do other than comply..

I delete their account and leave all the content, I've never has someone complain that their posts were still there, if there are posts that contain identifying info I will selectively edit/remove those posts.