Bug "Linear - Newest First" order is still not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it doesn't. :D
Your link is exactly the one I posted except you link post #19 and I did #17. I actually use the setting "Linear - Newest First" and a click on your link does not lead me to post #19 but on top of page 2 of this thread. With the Setting "Linear - Oldest First" it works as expected.

Edit: To reproduce this error it's also important to have the setting "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" set to "Use Forum Default", so that post #19 is on page 2 of the thread.

Last edited:
I am unable to replicate this issue using the following steps:

1. Switch the setting to Linear - Oldest First
2. Copy the link for Post #17 (dragonbyte-tech.com/f239/linear-newest-first-order-still-not-working-properly-18595-post108458/#post108458)
3. Switch the setting to Linear - Newest First
4. Open a new tab and paste the link from Step 2

Doing this snaps me to Post #17 exactly as expected.

Jesus! :D Ok, I tested a bit more and can reproduce this way only in Firefox (52) but not in Chrome:

- Go to Settings and choose "Linear - Oldest First"
- Go to this thread and copy link for post #1 ("Linear - Newest First" order is still not working properly)
- Go to Settings and choose "Linear - Newest First"
- Open copied link
- I expect to be redirected to page 3 -> post #1. But I end up on top of page 1.

Do you use Chrome as well, so this might be the reason you couldn't reproduce this behaviour so far?

I use Safari 10.1.1, but that's also webkit based so if the bug exists in the rendering engine (Gecko) then that would explain the issue.

Have you tried clearing Firefox's cache? Firefox caches redirects, so if you used the old, incorrect method, you might still have a cached redirect in your browser.

And what I just realized: When I submit a quick reply having the setting to "Linear - Newest First", I got redirected to last page. That's also wrong because my answer is obviously on first page of the thread.
:confused:

Last edited:
And what I just realized: When I submit a quick reply having the setting to "Linear - Newest First", I got redirected to last page. That's also wrong because my answer is obviously on first page of the thread.
:confused:
That sounds like a vBulletin bug, I'm reasonably certain that URL doesn't get rewritten.

IIRC the problem was that Firefox strips page hashes during redirects. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about that :(

Nah, I don't think that this is a reason, it's working like randomly. I just make a test across different browsers.

I have the setting to "Linear - Newest first", go to page 4 of this thread and click on #1 and #2:

Firefox:
#1 doesn't work
#2 works

Safari:
#1 doesn't work
#2 doesn't work

Chrome:
#1 works
#2 works

If a redirect doesn't work it's not the missing hash, but the missing page ("index4.html") in url. The hash with the post number is always present.

I don't know what else to tell you, if I can't replicate the issue there's no way I can even begin to fix it :(

I've tried all the browsers available to me at this time :(

Also consider the fact that no-one else has reported this issue, the only other report was in 2015 and that was confirmed fixed by the person reporting it. If this was a problem a lot of users could replicate, there would probably be more reports, wouldn't there?

Fact is, it's not only me having this problem but also another person in my company. That's why I excluded my local machine as a reason.

But I can understand, that it's not possible for you to fix it if you cannot reproduce it. ;)
We will discuss how we handle that (trying to fix it on ourselves or disabling that settings for our users).

Thanks for your testing and patience.

After investigating a bit I found out that there was a problem saving the settings. In file /hooks/profile_updateoptions.php there are following line:

if ($vbulletin->GPC['threadedmode'] == $vbulletin->userinfo['threadedmode'])
{
// Nothing's changed
break;
}

The value of $vbulletin->userinfo['threadedmode'] was always "0" for me no matter which setting was active. Therefore when saving the change from "Newest first" to "Oldest First" the datastore cache was not flushed, because "$vbulletin->GPC['threadedmode'] == $vbulletin->userinfo['threadedmode']" was true by mistake. Removing these lines fixed it for me.

But there is still the problem, if any user posted a link to a post already containing page number within it. This was the usual way our users posted links. These links do not work anymore if the user clicking on such a link has different settings for "post order" and "posts per page" than the user who posted.
Our previous addon (vbSEO) seemed to verify the page number got by url parameter and replaced it if necessary to make links even with a page parameter working for every user.

Is there a chance to get such a verification implemented? :)

No, such a check is very (!) performance intensive. It's one of the reasons why vBSEO performed so poorly. I understand it's not optimal, but since your forum is (seemingly) the only one affected by this, I don't think I can justify adding code that will objectively perform worse on every single DBSEO installation.

Sorry I couldn't bring better news :(

I understand that and already expected such an answer. ;) We will search for an internal solution.

But what about that "bug" I described in the profile_updateoptions hook? Can you finally reproduce this one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back