Status
Not open for further replies.

Valcav

Customer
Hi,

this request may or is probably strange/weird...
to have a kind of [add-on] for "Google Analytics" in it... (I'll explain later)

but,
1) you mentioned "Google Analytics" in your first pm...
Think Google Analytics customized for usage on vBulletin forums.

2) You could say that I would need to post it as a new mod request/idea... But because this is about "Analytics", I thought I would suggest it here...

What do I want with this?
well, I already wanted to get "Google Analytics" active on my site, but having a kind of deli-ma on where to put the code... (Google Analytics (GA) says you need to put the code before </head> ... on vBulletin they are saying to put it in the footer...)
It probably won't be much of an addition to the product itself, but would help other who would also activate GA on it. a box to fill in the "Tracking-id" (& a box for the domain-name), and an active add-on button (which then should make the GA-code active)... And help avoiding to make manual template edits

I know this is a (very) strange request... I wanted to make this request from the beginning, but constant fight in my head (yes,no,yes,no,yes,no,... ah whatever, if I don't try, I'll never know ;) )

Friendly greetings,
Valcav
(I hope you know what I mean with this, and sorry if it seems to be written in a strange way... It's just the way I am...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Google Analytics integration is something that undoubtedly will be apart of this modification as it grows and expands. However, for now, this sort of a feature request will have to be put on hold until vBAnalytics in itself is deemed stable and complete enough that we can look into integrating third party systems into it.

An integration like this would be extremely heavy, we would most likely have a whole separate section for Google Analytics in the ACP where you could fill out the necessary information and be able to view the GA statistics from within the vB ACP. Automatic template integration, I believe the footer would be the best, would also be included.

For now, as awesome as this will surely be, please put it out of your mind and rest assured eventually Cosmic will force me to do this. :D

EDIT: My rant above wasn't really on topic, was it? xD

But yes an option for automatic GA template integration should easy enough.

Last edited:
Yeah Valcav GA in Common templates near the bottom of the footer.

Oh and...
But yes an option for automatic GA template integration should easy enough.
Oh go ahead put the teaser in...Watch out Cosmic might be by the water cooler... :p to give you the assignment.

If Google Analytics code placement is being added.
Therefore I guess when the time arrives we will need to remove
it manually to add it to the Forum Analytics mod. ;)
and the next vb upgrade less worries. :cool:

Yep. GA does not recommend having multiple instances of the tracking code on any page as it may generate inaccurate data.

We recommend that you do not use both new and old tracking code snippets together on any given page. Doing so might generate inaccurate report data. You can, however, migrate select pages of your site to the new tracking code while the older tracking code remains on others.

It will not be required to input your tracking code; if left blank it will be disabled. I have also included the option to put the entire GA tracking code in case a user has set-up an advanced code instead of the standard one. :)

does it also implement the analytics code in archive.php?

Hmm. It does not. In fact, /archive/index.php does not get tracked at all. I'm not sure this is something I can fix as the plugins global_bootstrap_start and global_complete aren't called on the archives either. I don't think any plugins are called within the archives.

However, seeing as how little used the archives are used in comparison to the main forums this shouldn't be too big of a deal, but nevertheless I will see if I can support the archives in a future update. :)

Thanks.
On my forum about 15% of the landings are made on archive.php and i know there are sites that have an even higher landing rate on their archives.
That explains why the bounce-rate on vbanalytics is about half of the one i see in GA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back