Freekoid

Customer
Revise tabs / category display

Main arcade page

zirel3.jpg

Favourite tab

2qcp1dc.jpg

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
panelmockup.png

Okay, so heres something i quickly whipped together with firebug and gimp (i'm hardcore)...

Sorting, all, favorites, search on the left. Tabs on the right.
Tabs that dont fit get put into a >> tab, and clicking that gives you the list of tabs that didnt fit in an html dropdown (kinda like that, but not as shrunken)
Also, when hovering over a tab, you get the amount of games in it and the icon and description. I figured nobody really cares about that stuff unless they are considering clicking into it anyway, so why make it take up an unknown amount of space the whole time?
Finally, check out my znax highscore! Its global best, but because its on localyhost dbtech cant verify it (and it is thus rejected :( )

I was also thinking of offering an alternate option to the X-games-per-page, and offer a setting for ROWS. So, depending on the screen width, it will calculate how many will fit and get that many rows full. more aesthetic, but the tradeoff is that version requires more resources. what do you think?

I guess the only way to really see if it will look good is to try it out, looks like it may work, but I would do something else with the search, looks kinda off in the middle of the cat tabs

thoughts on...

the hovering for category count/desc/icon?

option to display rows vs total?

the collapsed tabs in an html dropdown under >> ?

does this solve the issues everyone's been having? :D if so, ill implement it asap.

thoughts on...

the hovering for category count/desc/icon? I think that will be ok

option to display rows vs total? I think the current way is fine, as to take up less resources

the collapsed tabs in an html dropdown under >> ? Maybe instead of >> name it More

does this solve the issues everyone's been having? :D if so, ill implement it asap.

In red in your quote is my ideas

I think the extra resource for calculation of board size should be available as an option, fluid and fixed boards are being used everywhere and we should be looking at customer end.

I like the 'tooltip/hover' :D

And the >> is just fine.

Are we having some sort of tab that we can utilize in admin? eg 'Competition' tab this would show games running in competitions etc..

I have to agree with Ozzy, it all looks good on paper, the only way to really tell is by having it on a live site and seeing what it can do. I like the idea of the drop down as that will eliminate the problem of the tabs being out of line. Not so sure about the hovering effect with the info until I can see it live, how much will that get in the way (if at all) some like hover effects and others are annoyed by them. I personally do not care which way it is, maybe have an option in the ACP to turn off the hover affect ?

@Trekkan @Freekoid @legionaire @DxtGaming @Bravo @E.T. ‎ and @techieanalyst @reeshe

Ok I have been playing around with this on the weekend, I think I have a feasible mockup that still works with @Darkwaltz4 vision of the tabs, and uses my idea of the explode on mousover.

Here is the look of the tabs in the arcade:

arcade41.png

Here is the look when you hover over the All Categories tab:

arcade45.png

Once you move the mouse off the All Categories tab it goes back to the original view:

arcade41.png

I think this the best way to allow the tabs to stay as they were intended, but be able to support alot of categories. This is live on my site if anyone wants to take a look. DW would have to code it correctly as I hard coded it in the template.

Last edited:
Just so you know, I'm pretty good with jquery and its not lack of a script thats preventing these effects - its me not really liking them.

I kinda took last week for some personal stuff, but I implemented the "x rows" feature and its kinda nice. im also working on the popup-on-hover, but run into a couple issues with getting counts BEFORE getting the games themselves, plus search and passworded categories cant know their counts until the tabs are open anyway.

so, still havent gotten to what to do with excessive tabs. i suppose i could do several effects since my idea really only works if you have a small amount of excess tabs, but ozzy's seems to work best when you have a huge amount of excess tabs.

The problem you have with your css dropdown is you need a jquery scrollbar as your categories expand further than viewable screen.

That could be alleviated by proper coding, I hard coded the size of the tabs so they fit as I see them, but it could be coded to a % value rather than a px value.

That could be alleviated by proper coding, I hard coded the size of the tabs so they fit as I see them, but it could be coded to a % value rather than a px value.

Just so you know (my side) when you click a category in the dropdown, there is a lag when you move the mouse away from it, as in it takes a second or two to disappear. There is an issue when the dropdown fails to work and #F5 needs to be done to make it work again.

so, still havent gotten to what to do with excessive tabs. i suppose i could do several effects since my idea really only works if you have a small amount of excess tabs, but ozzy's seems to work best when you have a huge amount of excess tabs.

Category information overload came to mind <lol>

Status
Not open for further replies.