Question Remove 2FA From Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Customer
Hey there!

How would I go about removing the 2FA from a user? I've tried running the following code:

Code:
UPDATE user SET dbtech_twofactor_secret = '', dbtech_twofactor_recovery = '' WHERE userid = 'x'

Replacing X with the userID, however I'm met with the following error:

Code:
An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned. 
error number: 1064 
error desc: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '\\\'\\\', dbtech_twofactor_recovery = \\\'\\\' WHERE userid = \\\'95829\\\'' at line 1

Is there perhaps another option?

What are you using to execute the query? That syntax is correct.

I'm actually just running it through the Maintenance > Execute SQL Query.

The only problem is I've got a few members now who can't access their accounts as they've set the 2FA up and have lost the means to authenticate their logins.

Last edited:
Can you try executing it in phpMyAdmin instead?

The only problem with that is that I'm not actually able to access that side of the back end, at least not at this moment. Is there no other alternative to disabling 2FA through the ACP?

Unfortunately for security purposes there's no AdminCP interface for accessing this functionality :(

Nicholas, in your example, try removing the single quotes by changing your query to:
Code:
UPDATE user SET dbtech_twofactor_secret = NULL, dbtech_twofactor_recovery = NULL WHERE userid = 95829
and see if that works.

Perhaps you may have magic_quotes enabled causing a double escaping to occur. :RpS_confused:

Hello Nicholas,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Answered.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBSecurity

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings