Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcGSR

Dear DB Tech,

I'm looking to implement a chat box on my forum. I've decided between MGC Chatbox Evo and DB Tech vBShout. Why should I choose vBShout over Chatbox Evo?

They both seem similar in regards to features. Does vBShout have anything Chatbox Evo does not?

Warm regards,

Marc

The biggest feature vBShout has got that MGC doesn't is the ability to create multiple shoutbox instances.
For instance, you can create a separate Shoutbox entirely for your staff, reducing the need for a chat room that may get pushed off the center of attention if the staff member is also part of several other chat rooms.

Other than that, vBShout also has the Active Users sidebar, letting people see at a glance who's active in the shoutbox without needing to load a separate tab.

I can't be entirely sure, but it seems like MGC does not allow users to create their own custom chat rooms and invite people to it - that is a feature of vBShout as well :)

vBShout also appears to have a more advanced logging system; you can configure vBShout to log all moderator actions and also take a complete backup of every shout as it's inserted (we call it Deep Logging) so that you'll always have a full, contextual list of shouts in case of a dispute between moderators and members.

Additionally, users have extended options for the Shoutbox in vBShout Pro, they can set their individual shoutbox height preferences per-instance, re-order each tab / chat room they are a member of, override other users' font choices, disable display features like alternating shout backgrounds & avatars, as well as configuring global sound options for themselves.

Beyond those features, the two chatboxes have different "feels" - you might want to try the Lite version of each on your forum and see which one your members respond the best to :)

vBShout was not designed to be put in a space as confined as a sideblock (if you mean the same size as the forum sidebar here on DBTech).

Other than that, it is possible to get vBShout added to a widget on the vB CMS :)

Do you have a link to a site that is using vBShout as a widget on a vB4 CMS home page? Can you please link me so I can see how it looks.

Sorry, I don't know of any sites that run vBShout on the CMS off the top of my head :(

To put vBShout in a custom location, do the following:

Step 1: AdminCP -> DBTech - vBShout-> Instance Management -> [Edit].

Step 2: Change the Auto-Display Shoutbox setting to Disabled.

Step 3: Write down the the Varname setting. For the default shoutbox, it's instance1. The rest of this guide will assume you replace instance1 with the actual Varname if it is different.

Step 4: Enter the Style Manager and add either {vb:raw show.vbshout_instance1} (vB4) or {$show[vbshout_instance1]} (vB3) to the templates you wish the shoutbox to appear in.

Follow these steps as described and you will have total control over the position of the Shoutbox.
Please note that some locations may not work as intended on vBulletin 3.8, and also note that it is not designed to go in the Forum Blocks side-bar (vBulletin 4).

Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back