Status
Not open for further replies.

amy-t

Customer
Might sound like a strange question but I am wondering. Lately I have heard all kinds of bad things about vbulletin and I am having major issues switching from ipb to it. Some thing keep going wrong and I have been working on switching for several months now. I see that you make mods for xenforo which seems like really good software and I hear all kinds of good stuff about it, plus it is simple to switch to. Your mods, mainly this arcade is the only reason why I am even thinking or trying to switch to vbulletin. If you made your mods for xenforo that would be awesome and I would switch that that instead.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
xenForo's community is very hostile towards new developers, especially paid developers whose mods outperform their own. We have no plans to move into xenForo at this point in time, sorry :(

We don't have any plans to port any more of our mods to xenForo at the moment, unfortunately.

As things stand the platform isn't profitable and the community tends to be very hostile to new developers.

Hmm I wonder why they are hostile toward new devs. I would think they would welcome them like vb and ipb does.

Your arcade is awesome though. It is way less buggy then the one for ipb and it has mochi games. Although I hear mochi games was added into the arcade for ipb but you have to pay to get it at least for now.

Hmm I wonder why they are hostile toward new devs. I would think they would welcome them like vb and ipb does.

Your arcade is awesome though. It is way less buggy then the one for ipb and it has mochi games. Although I hear mochi games was added into the arcade for ipb but you have to pay to get it at least for now.

Just to clarify - the devs, Kier and Mike, are great. Awesome guys, never been anything other than welcoming.

The community though is rather elitist and the developers already there tend to be rather territorial. Perhaps one of the best examples I can give is that several members of the community basically told us that we should either change our branding free footers (e.g remove them or have them removed as part of the pro license) or not bother releasing anything at all.

There is a prevailing attitude of "you should do things how WE want you to, or leave". We chose to leave rather than be beholden to those people. Most people use the free versions of our products, and we put them out there because we know there are lots of fansites and communities who just can't afford paid plugins - we do the most feature rich lite products of literally any company i have ever heard of, usually 70%+ of the features are in the free version.

Giving those people things for free, and doing it at a loss (because the xF community is not in a place where it is profitable to release/sell addons yet, it's still only about 5-10% of the size of the vB market, if that) didn't sit well with us.

It's a shame but communities reap what they sow and xF's struggle to attract and keep talented developers is almost entirely down to the attitude of the community - they're driving away the very people who can improve their sites. I've spoken to a number of other devs who hold the same opinion, and there are a number of "leaving" posts on xF of formerly prolific developers choosing to abandon the platform because of the large toxic element of the community.

vB has just as many toxic people of course, but they're massively outnumbered over there, with xF that's not the case.

I had no idea. I my self only heard about xenforo maybe less than a year ago. Or maybe it has been a year. I had no known about it long and only just today went looking on their site. I do not see all that many mods that would benifit me or my site but did find an arcade. However it is not nearly as good as your arcade.

Oh I have seen "toxic" developer stuff before. It is something I have seen on IPB as well. I remember some modders quiting because they were tired of dealing with it. Although some of those cases are when one modder accuses another of stealing thier idea or code. Althoguh there was one modder that quite because most of the mods he made ended up getting added into the forum software it self. He owned a site called easyipb, all the mods he made are now part of the system it self.

That last thing does not seem to happen on vb and I have no idea if it happens on xenforo.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future with all 3 forum scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.