Customer
Hi

recently upgraded from 3.8.9 and vbseo pro to 4.2.3

this problem now presents....

i have an area on my forum that shows up as

L319 Discovery 3 and 4

after installation

but the forum is Australian Land Rover Owners

somehow the -a is being added when it never used to be and i am trying to find a way of fixing it or getting around it please

thanks you

PS iit is only this area, the others seem to work as before.

For instance, let's say you have a forum format like so:
[forum_title]-[forum_id]/

And a thread format like so:
[thread_title]/

As far as DBSEO is concerned, the two URLs look like so:
<any character or symbol>-<a number>
<any character or symbol>

Now let's assume someone posts a thread title like so:
New Release: DBSEO version 2

The rewritten URL for that thread would, without the -a suffix, be:
new-release-dbseo-2

Notice how this matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? In other words, if forum URLs are given a higher "priority" than thread URLs, the rewritten URL would be resolved as if it was a forum, and when visiting that thread you would see forum ID 2 (or an error message, if that forum ID does not exist or is inaccessible).

However, with the rewritten URL including the -a suffix, the URL for that thread would be:
new-release-dbseo-2-a

Notice how it no longer matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? There is now a character after the number, which means it can't be a forum URL.

This is a very simplified example, but it demonstrates why it's vitally important to make sure that URL formats can be resolved as accurately as possible.

what?

there is no other thread or forum area with the same name that i can find ....

vbseo is creating the -a at the end of an forum area url

is there a way of re writing that one area to ditch the -a ?

this is a big deal on my forum as it is one of the popular areas and vbseo wasnt doing it prior to the upgrade.

ta

For instance, let's say you have a forum format like so:
[forum_title]-[forum_id]/

And a thread format like so:
[thread_title]/

As far as DBSEO is concerned, the two URLs look like so:
<any character or symbol>-<a number>
<any character or symbol>

Now let's assume someone posts a thread title like so:
New Release: DBSEO version 2

The rewritten URL for that thread would, without the -a suffix, be:
new-release-dbseo-2

Notice how this matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? In other words, if forum URLs are given a higher "priority" than thread URLs, the rewritten URL would be resolved as if it was a forum, and when visiting that thread you would see forum ID 2 (or an error message, if that forum ID does not exist or is inaccessible).

However, with the rewritten URL including the -a suffix, the URL for that thread would be:
new-release-dbseo-2-a

Notice how it no longer matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? There is now a character after the number, which means it can't be a forum URL.

This is a very simplified example, but it demonstrates why it's vitally important to make sure that URL formats can be resolved as accurately as possible.

If your forum titles are rewritten differently, you can turn on the Legacy Forum URL setting in the DBSEO CP.

no hints or clues what i should put in there...
Sorry, I don't understand the question.

The setting I referred to is an on/off switch, there is no individual setting for each forum.

If you can please clarify what you need clues for, I would be happy to assist you :)

Hello incisor,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Not A Bug.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings