• Support will be limited until May 8th, as I will be out of the office travelling. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Bug User permissions not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marv

Customer
I´ve installed vBDownloads a few days ago, imported the files from DownloadsII with the importer configured all options, extensions etc and began to translate the xml (btw: a pain in the a**..). The vBDL was deactivated for the whole time, so only we admins could get into it.

I´ve finished the translation, imported the new xml with override permissions and configured a few settings again, cause there are quite a few, which didn´t get updated by an import of a new xml (values from the first import are persistent). I enabled the system for public and had to notice, that no other usergroup beside admins can enter the dl-system. They see the no permissions page right after clicking the custom tab in the navigation menue. Customized, because the built-in NavTab don´t wanna show up, too. Not to users and not to admins. User permissions for all categories and subs are set for all usergroups.
Guess I need some help on that. And to make it even better - we´ve announced the opening of the dl-system for today.

Other bugs found:
  • Browse file button not appearing on upload page (Link is there, button not)
  • File upload not functional (CHMD 777 on upload DIR, path correct), deleted the whole function though to avoid copyright issues
  • Thumbnails disappear after editing a file (thumbnails generated with noimage.png)

AFAIR I felt over a few more, mainly layout issues when using something different as width=100% (overlapping td´s etc), but I can´t recall them right now after translating the whole night through.

Fillip, may be you could gimme a head up on the user permissions, which are the greatest problem for now. I´ll check back here after having a few hours of sleep.

Regards,
Marv.

Got the user permissions working. Unfortunal the documentation lacks a little bit or to say at least is very "lightweight". For other users who run into the same problem: you´re NOT done by setting the permissions in the vbDownloads own settings, as it seems. Additional you have to go through every usergroup and set general vbDownloadd permissions. Else, wether the Navtab shows up nor are the users able to access the download area.
This should be included in the readme.txt because I´ld never have searched for additional permissions in the usergroup settings, when the permission-system in vbDownloads appears to take care of all necessary permissions, which it indeed doesn´t.

Regarding the NAVTAB and the submenue: for some reason I don´t know, I can´t get this to work. Are there any additional permission settings necessary, that are not covered yet?

I´ve finished the translation, imported the new xml with override permissions
This is an incorrect way of translating the product. Please see threads in the Translations forum here for examples: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/f91

You need to create new language files and import them into your custom language via the Language Manager. What you appear to have done is corrupt the master language, which needs to remain English. I recommend downloading a fresh copy of the modification and re-importing an unmodified product XML file so that the Master Language is restored.

I enabled the system for public and had to notice, that no other usergroup beside admins can enter the dl-system. They see the no permissions page right after clicking the custom tab in the navigation menue.
Configure the usergroup permissions both globally in the Usergroup Manager, and on a per-category level in the Manage Categories interface.

Browse file button not appearing on upload page (Link is there, button not)
Please provide a screenshot.
File upload not functional (CHMD 777 on upload DIR, path correct), deleted the whole function though to avoid copyright issues
This is not a known issue, and is not something I can reproduce. You'll need to check your PHP error log for any issues.
Thumbnails disappear after editing a file (thumbnails generated with noimage.png)
This is working as intended, if the file no longer has an image uploaded.

AFAIR I felt over a few more, mainly layout issues when using something different as width=100% (overlapping td´s etc), but I can´t recall them right now after translating the whole night through.
This sounds like an issue with your custom skin, as it's not an issue that can be reproduced on the default style nor any custom style I have ever come across.

The problems don´t have a relation to the translated phrases. The installation was done with the original file and the phrases became translated later on. The problems even remained while using the original xml, that made no difference. Regarding the layout issues with the overlapping of long links on category_home I´ld guess the td´s have shrinked by the used doc_width of 75% where the linkoverlaps 1 or 2 characters. No biggy and I´ve solved that for me by editing the layout, but in general I´m using no custom style for the forums.

That thumbnails, which are generated on the fly for files which have no custom thumbnail set, disappear after I´ve edited a typo, is working as intended? May be we are talking about different things. When I´ve uploaded a file with no thumbnail and the file is pdf, where no thumbnail can be created by vbDownloads, the noimage.png is used to generate a thumb. But when I wanna edit a typo in that download description and save that, the image is gone and shows the broken image placeholder. The thumbnail that was generated in the first place and is stored in dbtech/downloads/picturestorage/ is still present. Unfortunal the edited download only shows a thumbnail, when the stored thumbnail is deleted and the cache repaired. May be I am doing something wrong or I´ve misconfigured something, but thats how it works for now. May be you have an advice for me.

Can you please provide a set of step-by-step instructions for how to reproduce this issue? I can't seem to replicate it myself, so I want to make sure that I am doing exactly the same as you are doing when you encounter this issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBDownloads

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back