Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekkan

Customer
The ability to display the games by category in the adminCP. This lets you see exactly what the end user sees, but also would let you edit the display order as well.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If you click on manage categories, you will see a number under the games column, click on that and it will list all the games in that category, and their display order

If you click on manage categories, you will see a number under the games column, click on that and it will list all the games in that category, and their display order

Cool, thanks for that!

However, I'm still not sure what it would mean if you changed the display order on games after you just clicked the "manage games" as, you aren't in a category at that point.

The number in the games column is how many games are in each category, so by clicking the number, you are in that specific category.

Games will be in a display order you set as long as you are not looking at them as Newly Added, that way they show up as the time added, in a descending order, newest first.

The number in the games column is how many games are in each category, so by clicking the number, you are in that specific category.

Games will be in a display order you set as long as you are not looking at them as Newly Added, that way they show up as the time added, in a descending order, newest first.

If you go into your AdminCP, and click "Manage Games", you aren't in a category and there's no way to select a category from that screen. I see what you mean about clicking the number on other pages, but that option is only there if you click "manage Categories" in the adminCP, not in the "Manage Games". But in "Manage Games" you still have the sort order listed.

Categories games have are listed in the Tags games have (they are normal font instead of italic) and clicking that will get you the same effect as going through the categories page.

i do not want to add a separate list of categories to narrow by on the manage game page itself any further than these methods.

Ok, I can live with that, but... I'm not sure it's all that intuitive. =) Also, this forces you to scroll through the list of games until you find one with the tag (Category in this case) and then click on it. Who knows what page that'll be on, etc.

BUT, it doesn't work though, I clicked on "Action" on one of the tags and it took me to a different list of games, but the majority of the ones shown, do not have "Action" as a tag that you can see. Also, once you click one of those category (tags), the game that DOES have "action" in it is still Italicized.

Wait... actually I think it's a case sensititivy issue as well as just weird. ;)

So... I clicked "Action" from the Game List page. That took me to a list of games that I assume are all "Action" games, but there are games that have "action" in the tags as well, that's what shown italicized.

I guess when you click a tag like this, it's then removing that tag from the taglist display as well?

As like the import screen, it shows at the top the currently activated filter tags.

Since the keywords could technically contain words that match your category titles, they are two different things, so i italicized the keywords to differentiate them from actual categories the game is assigned to. if you clicked an italic one, it will search for games that share that keyword.

if you clicked the normal text one, it would show you the games in that category. like has been said elsewhere, you dont have to wait for the category tag to show up - just click the number of games link on the category manager.

this is really just a case of unfortunate keywording. again keywords != categories, the former is intended to assist with freeform searching, vs hard sorting.

I think the "keywords != categories" statement is the problem. I mean, I get ya, but as they are essentially displayed the same (it's hard to see a non-italicisized item in a sea of ones that are), plus they are also all under "tags" so it's confusing. Easiest would just be to have a line that said "Categories" and one for "tags". But I think that's what you're trying to avoid.

Ok, I can live with that, but... I'm not sure it's all that intuitive. =) Also, this forces you to scroll through the list of games until you find one with the tag (Category in this case) and then click on it. Who knows what page that'll be on, etc.

Also, I get that you can click on the "Manage Categories" link, then click the number from there and see all the games, etc. But.. well let me explain how I was going about things.

I wanted to edit the category for some games, NOT the categories themselves.

So I went into the "Manage Games" section (In my head, I'm editing the games, not editing categories)

There I was looking to see how I could edit the games quickly, so I thought "ok, I'll just click the "category" tag and edit from there.

Well, the first 15 games didn't have the category I was looking for, I had to scan all the tags and look and look for the right one, finally finding it and then I was able to do what I needed to do.

Now, I KNOW I could of made this much easier by clicking "Manage Categories" in the first place, I get that. But... I wasn't editing a category, I was editing a game... so... that's my thought process and why I was doing what I was doing. I don't expect anything to change, just trying to explain how I was thinking of things. =)

I suppose i could split them into two lists of categories and keywords to enforce the distinction.

but id still rather rename Manage Categories into something more...inviting than add a list of them on the game editor

What about no underline for none category in the tags list?

So instead of:

Tags: Adventure, Apartment, Escape, Mochi, Point and Click, Puzzle, Tower, kok3114

You would see

Tags: Adventure, Apartment, Escape, Mochi, Point and Click, Puzzle, Tower, kok3114

Well, im warming up to the separate category list, because then the checkbox can be next to that, instead of Tags, which makes more sense what you are editing (the list of categories) plus eliminates the confusion about categories != keywords. i also dont want to lose the notion that you can click the tags to narrow stuff down by removing their underlines

okay! so, implemented a couple things re:this

i split categories and tags into their own lists. tags are still italic

for the game manager:
when you click to narrow by category, the list of categories the game has are still shown (they wont hide like the applied tags) though you can still only select one at a time, but you can switch around.

the checkbox is now next to the categories list, since thats what you are playing with when you select them.
if theres no categories, theres an italic None tag in its place, for you to see all uncategorized games (thanks ozzy)

this is as implemented as id like it to be.

Well this is once again, another excellent job, thanks for looking into all of our requests, and seeing to each and everyone. :)

in the newest beta available now, you can select a category from a dropdown at the top to narrow right on manage games.

Status
Not open for further replies.