Question Deleted PMs still accessible in PM log

Status
Not open for further replies.

number6cs

Even though a user had deleted all of their PMs, or I have manually deleted their PMs, I can see the PMs in the log and read the content. The same is true for chron jobs that prune PMs. The task log shows the pruning task to have run, but the messages can still be found in the log.

Ideas?

I believe this may actually be a core vB issue. After importing this site into XF2, I found all my deleted PMs had resurfaced. Turns out, vBulletin doesn't actually delete the PMs when you delete it, the PM text is still in the database.

In short, this isn't a bug in our modification as far as I can tell.

Thank you for replying so quickly! I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why every PM since inception could be found in the log. The only PMs that are no longer in the log are PMs associated with a deleted user.

I have deleted PMs manually, and have the chron delete feature set to delete PMs that are more than 180 days old, but I can see PMs going back to 2012.

Yet, vB says that there is no way to restore a deleted PM, which is very odd if the PMs are never deleted from the database.

Here @ this site I have 238 pages of PMs now, going back as far as 2011 :p

I think the reason why they say PMs can't be undeleted is two-fold:
1. Perhaps if the last recipient, as well as the sender, deletes the PM it does fully erase the text
2. The metadata is still permanently erased

vB PMs split themselves into two distinct parts; pmtext and pm. When you send a PM to multiple recipients, each of them gets their own entry in the pm table, but collectively only one entry in the pmtext table. Therefore, if one person deletes their PM, it's only the pm reference point pointing to the pmtext entry that gets erased.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense :)

Hello @number6cs,

We hope your ticket regarding vBSuper PM's has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBSuper PM's

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating