Morgan Grover

My apologies if this is long. I am trying to explain what I need exactly, in the most complete way possible.

I am trying to setup a website based around a game that my local hobby shop is creating. Basically it is a collectible card game (like M:tG or Pokemon for example). As it currently sits, customers to our shop earn points for every purchase, and with those points they can purchase 'booster packs' of cards for our in-house game. Everything is virtual (they don't actually get a booster pack with cards inside it). Instead, when they purchase a booster pack, we have an excel sheet that randomly determines the 'cards' inside the booster pack. All of our active customers / players have a profile tab in the excel workbook, and so we copy / paste the virtual cards to their profile tab and save the workbook. So basically we have an 'inventory' of all of our customers cards. This was originally started as a simple and fun spoof on the community, but it has garnered quite a following, and with Christmas almost here, it is becoming overwhelming. We currently have 167 profile tabs / customers and generating the cards and trying to keep track of everybody manually is becoming a major headache.

I have been searching all day for some bit of software that could handle something like this, and finally came across your vbshop software. At first look it seems that it is a dream come true for me. What I need exactly is outlined below, can vbShop handle this? Will I have to do any mods, hacks, or anything?

1) I need a shop in which I can sell the booster packs. From what I see, vbshop could do this. Is it possible to make items usable? By that I mean, could a member buy a booster pack and have that in their inventory, and when they are ready 'open' it (thus, deleting the pack and replacing it with a random assortment of cards). Or, if that is not an option, could they just purchase a booster pack and after they check out the random assortment of cards is added to their inventory?

2) Does vbShop handle any form of trading? I seen a gifting feature, perhaps that would work as a way to 'trade'.

3) Can members have a storefront to sell cards that they do not want?

Lastly, I see the Triple Triad game on this site. I have never heard of that before. It looks interesting, so I will have to look into that. I don't have any Gil at the moment, but it looks like whatever software you used for it here on this site is nearly exact to what I need. Is that something offered, or something custom for the site? Thanks a ton!!!

1) That is not possible, sorry :(

2) I guess, but it would have to use the honour system as there's no "escrow" buttons in the gifting.

3) That's not possible either :(

vBShop really wasn't designed for this sort of thing unfortunately.

Back