Legacy REQUEST: Option for "Likes" as there is for "Rating" (or convert rating to likes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzcomputers

Customer
REQUEST: Option for "Likes" as there is for "Rating" (or convert rating to likes)

I've noticed the downloads "Rating" is hardly ever used. Not sure if this is true for others but with hundreds of downloads daily on my site I'm still not seeing much use of it.

I know myself I was a little confused by the use of "Rating" as the name for the option. When I think "Rating" I think of a number between 1-10. When in actuality the option is more of a "Like / Dislike" option. Users are very familiar with the term "Like" and are use to seeing it and using it online. I tried to just rename "rating" phrases to "likes" hoping to get more users to use the option. It works to a point but currently the actual way the option buttons work doesn't exactly support a "Likes" system but I'm sure it could with a few small changes.

My request is to add support for a "Likes" system. I personally would just like to see users able to select the like option (as they can currently for rating). I don't see the need to support a dislike (ability to negate another users like) but others might. Once a user selects like (+) allow them to unlike (-) the download. Very similar to what the "Rating" options is currently doing but I think with the slight change it would be an option that is used more.

Not sure if you would be more interested in converting the current "Rating" option or adding a completely new "Like" option.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Our Advanced Post Thanks / Like mod already integrates with vBDownloads, so that would be better suited to replacing the Rating system, wouldn't you say?

I do agree that "rating" is a bit of a misleading label, though.

Our Advanced Post Thanks / Like mod already integrates with vBDownloads, so that would be better suited to replacing the Rating system, wouldn't you say?

Yes, I do. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing likes on the bottom of some downloads. I assume they are currently coming from the automatic thread post created by the download. I think if you could add additional functionality allowing users to also like right from the download itself that would be best.

No, the APTL integration is for the download itself, not its corresponding thread. The reason for that is that not every forum runs with the discussion thread turned on, and not every category has discussion threads enabled. It would be a bit inconsistent if only some downloads could be liked, so currently it's a separate feature from post likes.

That makes more sense.

I've edited a couple templates and cannot see the code for APTL to show on the downloads pages. What template was it in? Currently on my site the option to like downloads through APTL is not showing. Only thing that is showing on a couple downloads are where they must of been liked in the past through APTL when the option was showing.

First step is to make sure that [DBTech] vBDownloads shows up in the Disable Feature Integration in the APTL vBOptions. If it doesn't, the APTL version needs an update.

Next up is to make sure that the template hook dbtech_downloads_belowlinks exists in the dbtech_downloads_delay and dbtech_downloads_download templates. If it doesn't, those templates need a revert.

If neither of this makes a difference, let me know and I'll pop round to have a looksee :)

First step is to make sure that [DBTech] vBDownloads shows up in the Disable Feature Integration in the APTL vBOptions. If it doesn't, the APTL version needs an update.

I believe this is where my issue lies. I've been running the latest version of APTL but the only integration option showing is for vBShout. I went ahead and re-installed the latest version of APTL over the top of what I had and still no vBDownloads option.

Try clicking Rebuild Bitfields in the left side menu - you may need to turn debug mode on to see that option, I'm not sure.

Still nothing. Can't get the vBDownloads option to show and inturn no APTL buttons show on download pages.

Edit: It appears to be a bug. Would you like me to start a different thread?

Last edited:
I've just looked at your site, and I see APTL buttons in vBDownloads just fine :)

Did something change?

Make sure other usergroups / users are not set as Excluded in the usergroup manager and the edit user interfaces respectively.

There was a permission issue with one usergroup, and the other thing was so many of the downloads were mine so the like options weren't showing for me :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back