Bug Issue with redirect when using % mark in thread title

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemiWiki

Customer
Hey guys we had a recent issue on Semiwiki, basically we create articles and threads for some content.

The CMS articles were fine however if you made a new thread with the same title:
INTC 3Q Profit Jumps 34% despite flat PC sales; what's working in its favor?

^ The forum thread was not viewable, you could click the link in the sidebar blocks and it would reload the page with the correct url up top but cause a redirect issue and the page would not load.

This is the format of how the url was (when messed up):
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/f302...t-pc-sales;-whats-working-its-favor-9824.html

The percentage in the url would not allow it to parse properly and/or redirect in a bad way.

I was able to bypass this by adding in a custom character filter;
"Custom Character Filter
This setting lets you filter custom characters from the SEO URLs."

Using:
PHP:
% => p
% => p

^ Bottom one is actually & # 3 7; => p (without the spaces, dbseo on this site here is replacing lol)

Now the thread loads fine under this url:
SemiWiki.com

The % not being in the url allows it to load properly, the title still uses a % which is nice but my issue is the fact I want the % mark to show in the actual url, I want the url to be: https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/f302...t-pc-sales;-whats-working-its-favor-9824.html

How can I achieve this or what change to DBSEO can I make to make this happen? Thanks!

Last edited:
Change the Non-Latin Characters setting to Remove or Replace. Keep is only intended for UTF-8 forums.

Neither worked, I tried replace first and redirect issue happened. I then tried remove and it did the same thing again:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/f302...t-pc-sales;-whats-working-its-favor-9824.html

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

I left it set as remove for now, so you can click the link above to view for yourself if needed.

Changing the setting would not make existing URLs with % work, such as the one you pasted here. Scrolling further down on Where investors and semiconductor professionals interact shows new URLs that have % in the title do not have % in the SEO'd URL.

For the record, the reason why this is happening is that % is a URL Encode character. We cannot strip it automatically, as that would prevent certain UTF-8 language/charset combinations from working.

AHHHHH I C, I C now (thanks for the quick explanation at the end).

Okay so based on your reply, I've retained the custom character filter to replace the % mark (for old threads it was already used in) and set it to replace non-latin characters.

Thanks again for the explanation, feel free to close this ticket :cool:.

Hello SemiWiki,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Not A Bug.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings