Status
Not open for further replies.

NSA

Customer
Something that has come up recently, is that when someone posts a URL link that ends with .aspx it causes the server to timeout and never post the post.

I fixed this by going into the DB CP and adding the site in question to "Link Titles: External URLs - Blacklist"

Not a huge deal, as I can't think of another site that uses aspx pages, but maybe something to look into? I don't know if its on your end, or maybe aspx pages don't support retrieving titles?

Link for example: www DOT gameinformer DOT com/b/news/archive/2014/04/10/get-to-know-the-new-head-of-xbox.aspx

FYI this is on 1.0.9 need to upgrade to 1.0.11.

Thanks!

EDIT: I edited the link as I think it was causing issues here too.

Last edited:
Does this happen with ALL aspx links from all domains, or just that domain/that page?

Huh you know I didn't think to check. I have rarely seen a site use .aspx pages.

Just did a few checks and the other pages I found (One on Microsoft site, the other DARPA) seemed to pull up fine.

But ALL pages from gameinformer seem to have issues, i.e. Gateway Timeout - In read

Must be something going on with the way they have the pages setup?

Seems like the links worked this time (although there was a doublepost, probably related).

I'll have to test that further to see how I can prevent it from happening :)

Update: I have discovered the source of this problem. The code that fetches the remote HTML to extract the title currently has no timeout set, and it seems to default to 1 minute. This introduces unexpected behaviour on various server configurations (each configuration is different, with different results).

In v1.0.12, it will timeout after 5 seconds.

Sweet! Thanks for fixing that.. very odd and random.. but I guess that's what our testing is for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back