Question Switching from vbSEO to DBSEO with vBulletin and WordPress installed Side by Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinG

Customer
Hello there!
As I am not ready yet to switch from vBulletin to XenForo but have to move forward with PHP, I decided to switch from vbSEO to DBSEO. I run vBulletin and WordPress side by side which works fine. But when I switch from vbSEO to DBSEO, I get the error "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS".

Current situation:
vBulletin is installed in the domain root.
WordPress is installed in the subfolder "news".
The index.php from vBulletin was replaced by the index.php from WordPress with the following content:

<?php
/**
  • Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
  • wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
* @package WordPress
*/

/**
* Tells WordPress to load the WordPress theme and output it.
* @var bool
*/
define( 'WP_USE_THEMES', true );

/** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
require( dirname( FILE ) . '/news/wp-blog-header.php' );

This is the content of my htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !dbseourl=
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(admincp/|dbseocp/|modcp/|cron|mobiquo|forumrunner|api\.php|reviewpost/|classifieds/|photopost/)
RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ dbseo.php?dbseourl=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !/(admincp|dbseocp|modcp|clientscript|cpstyles|images|reviewpost|classifieds|photopost)/
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ dbseo.php [L,QSA]

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

Forum Homepage in vBulletin is set to forum.php
If you need any additional information, let me know.

Thx for your reply.
Yes. If I do that, WordPress takes the "lead". Which means that WordPress works fine, but every call get's redirected - even forum.php redirects me to the WordPress start page.

I have another idea: When I use the original index.php from vBulletin, the forum works fine and WordPress works fine within the subfolder /news. The only issue is that when I enter the root url www.drwindows.de, the vBulletin start page instead of WordPress appears - which is logical, but not the desired behaviour :)

I still have no solution, but a few new discoveries.
It seems that DBSEO always redirects the forum homepage to index.php
While searching for possible solutions I put a copy of forum.php with a different name on the server and it worked fine. I set it as forumhome in the vBulletin Settings and it still worked. But once I activated DBSEO, my custom file name got redirected to index.php and the site broke. So it seems that DBSEO needs the original index.php from vBulletin to work, ist that correct?

Correction: DBSEO does not redirect to index.php, it does redirect to /
I found that out by putting an index.html file in the root directory. Is there a way or a setting to avoid this?

Last edited:
Do you have the "Force Forum Directory Index" setting turned on in DBSEO? That could explain why it redirects to / rather than what's set in the forum index.

I've been searching the whole day if there is a setting like that, but I couldn't find it...unbelievable 😂
I changed this to "No" and it did half the job, but I still got "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS " when trying to load the index.php from WordPress.
I than added "index\.php" to the second line of the DSBSEO rules and now everything seems to work as desired 👍
Thx for your help. I will have to to some further testing, but I am optimistic that my problem is solved.

Martin, vbseo is EXTREMELY unsecure and has been the reason for many vBulletin sites to get hacked. This has been known for years. I would consider yourself VERY lucky. I HIGHLY suggest you remove ALL vbseo files from your server as just disabling it is not enough and will not protect you.

If your running VB 4.2.5 you can safely run PHP 7.1.33 though depending on other addons you might need to disable the displaying of warning messages.

I knew that and I didn't feel well, though I had made some custom modifications to run vbSEO a little more secure. Anyway, I made the switch and anything works. Looking back, it was super easy and I should have done it way earlier :)

Hello @MartinG,

We hope your ticket regarding DragonByte SEO has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been scheduled to be closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Hello @MartinG,

As we have not heard back from you, your ticket regarding DragonByte SEO has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, please feel free to start a new support ticket and link back to this ticket.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating