• Support will be limited until May 8th, as I will be out of the office travelling. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Bug Social group urls broken when having number at end of title

Status
Not open for further replies.

guj

Customer
Hello,

there is one more bug in social group urls. If group title ends up with a number, the group url gets a strange "-a" at the end.

I.E.:
Group "Sommerbabies 2015" -> Gruppen - BRIGITTE Community
Group "Nextentreffen 2014" -> Gruppen - BRIGITTE Community

All other groups have correct urls:

I.E.:
Group "Hunde" -> Hunde - BRIGITTE Community

The problem is, that all group urls with added "-a" are leading to social group overview instead of into the requested group.

We have live still DBSEO 2.0.2, but I have the same issue with version 2.0.4.

Could you please fix it soon?

Thank you.

This is working as intended.

For instance, let's say you have a forum format like so:
[forum_title]-[forum_id]/

And a thread format like so:
[thread_title]/

As far as DBSEO is concerned, the two URLs look like so:
<any character or symbol>-<a number>
<any character or symbol>

Now let's assume someone posts a thread title like so:
New Release: DBSEO version 2

The rewritten URL for that thread would, without the -a suffix, be:
new-release-dbseo-2

Notice how this matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? In other words, if forum URLs are given a higher "priority" than thread URLs, the rewritten URL would be resolved as if it was a forum, and when visiting that thread you would see forum ID 2 (or an error message, if that forum ID does not exist or is inaccessible).

However, with the rewritten URL including the -a suffix, the URL for that thread would be:
new-release-dbseo-2-a

Notice how it no longer matches the <any character or symbol>-<a number> rule for forum URLs? There is now a character after the number, which means it can't be a forum URL.

This is a very simplified example, but it demonstrates why it's vitally important to make sure that URL formats can be resolved as accurately as possible.

Hi Fillip H.,

thanks for your answer, but i think it doesn't solve the problem. First of all I have this problem not for forum/thread urls but for social groups. Then, I already had the idea that another rewrite rule exists that matches /gruppen/[group_name].html (that's how it is defined), but that's not the case.

The rule for social groups page url looks like gruppen/[group_name]-seite[page].html. It shouldn't match for the url Gruppen - BRIGITTE Community, should it?

So there is obviously no reason to add that -a suffix within the application. Where does it come from?

Edit: Deactivating all other rewrite rules but social groups does not change anything. So it's impossible that any other rule (i.e. forum rules) matches the social group url.

Fabian

Last edited:
Update: I just found out, that the url with "-a" suffix works, when I add

$appendTitle = true;

at line 871 in dbtech/dbseo/includes/filter.php so that the if-block beginning at line 888 is executed.

I still have that "-a"-Suffix in the url then (whereever it comes from), but at least the group-page is opened.

Maybe this helps for further investigations.

It doesn't matter whether all other rewrite rules are disabled, URLs cannot change dynamically based on what URL formats are active, as old indexed URLs would then fail to work.

Hi Fillip H.,

I understand that, but this is not the point. What I haven't understood yet is that "a"-suffix. Is it automatically set by dbseo for threads with a number at the end of title? If yes, could you then please take a look on the social groups. It seems that they get the same suffix, but then the url does not work anymore and leads to the social groups index (group.php) instead.

Thx
Fabian

Hi Fillip H.,

it's concering the group url. I couldn't test the group discussions so far since i cannot reach the groups page. ;)

I can confirm this issue @ my local test environment. I will get back to you with a fix ASAP :)

Update: This will be resolved in the next update, currently scheduled to be released Monday :)

Hello guj,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Fixed.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings