• Support will be limited until May 8th, as I will be out of the office travelling. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Question Regarding update releases, downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nulumia

Customer
Hi DBTech,
So one major thing I notice about the addon is that discussion for products are broken down between the download releases, in a sort of repository format. Personally, I feel this is a bit complicated, and looking to use a more traditional approach such as a main forum area for discussion threads & tech support. Or similarly, how Resource Manager generates a main discussion thread and also auto posts update releases into a single spot for users to check in with.

I'm not exactly feature requesting this as it's a major change from the current model (and some sites may desire that approach), but what do you think about having the option for a more unified discussion method? Personally, I am trying to eliminate as many extra steps and on-page elements as possible (via template edits), to give a very quick and seamless user flow.

Also, to have a super easy UI (in the case there is NOT multiple versions, platforms etc for a single product), many digital ecommerce sites will have a simple Download button which will always represent the current/latest version of the product, ala ThemeForest/CodeCanyon. Or basically, the customer doesn't need to know the complex internal versioning and just wants to hit Download everytime they hear there's an update - no trees, overlays, pages of historical versions etc with 20 different download links. Again.. I believe some shops may exactly need this though, so I highly respect the development to have this system in place.

For my case, I'm hiding every additional row in the Releases tab except for the latest one, as well as re-directing the Discussion button to a main forum section (haven't figured out that part yet though).

Just wondering what you think about in the future, offering more options for simplification for shops that don't need the more "repository"-like system which the addon uses by default?

Or similarly, how Resource Manager generates a main discussion thread and also auto posts update releases into a single spot for users to check in with.
Partial support for this is already in the code, it just needs a minor update in order to correctly assign a new discussion thread to a product, as well as a minor change to the thread title setter for a new release thread.

The choice between a new thread per download and replying to existing release threads is a per-category setting, though it is not exposed in the UI at the moment.

I have implemented this feature in the v1.2.0 update I'm working on.

Just wondering what you think about in the future, offering more options for simplification for shops that don't need the more "repository"-like system which the addon uses by default?
I'm a bit hesitant to introduce yet another different download UI (or lack thereof) as we would then be up to three different ways of downloading digital products. If there's significant demand for this I will of course implement it.

Meanwhile, if you want to implement this yourself, you might find the LatestVersion relation on the $product entity relevant for determining how to craft the download link yourself in the templates.

That's awesome to hear about the upcoming discussion features! I understand your view on introducing different layouts, just wondering your input on this.

Thanks for the $product snippets as that should work perfect for my customization :)

Hello @Nulumia,

We hope your ticket regarding DragonByte eCommerce has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte eCommerce

XenForo 2.0.6+ XenForo 2.1.x XenForo 2.2.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating