Legacy Jquery, old version, multiple includes

Status
Not open for further replies.

janslu

Customer
This is not only related to Advanced Thanks - this is the problem of all your modules. I know you are aware of this, because it keeps coming back from time to time, but I think it is high time you do something about it.

Almost every extension I have from you, be it paid or free, includes it's own version of jquery. Currently it is ancient version 1.7.2, released exactly 3 years ago (march 2012!). It is being included multiple times, each extension does it on it's own. Even if the browser downloads it only once, I need to have a newer version, and included only once.

Would it be possible to create a setting for all of your extensions, where we could disable inclusion of "your" jquery if we include our own anyway? Or maybe a single global setting? If not - can you tell me what I need to do to disable jquery 1.7.2 inclusion?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is not possible, for the reasons you yourself specify. Multiple other modifications (non-DBTech related) include their own version of jQuery which could be even older, and not supporting the features utilised by our modifications.

For that reason, we have to use a jQuery system called noConflict ( https://api.jquery.com/jquery.noconflict/ ) which ensures that each instance of jQuery operates independently.

What this means is that it's not possible to simply disable "our" jQuery, as the moment our JS files load, the already included jQuery library will no longer be tied to the $ variable.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to change your other jQuery-utilising JS code to also use the noConflict method of loading.

Ok, thanks for clarification. I wasn't aware that you use customjquerypath vb setting for path generation. I hope it will work with 1.11.2 + migrate 1.2.1...

Vbulletin 4.2 is getting old extremely fast. How I wish there was a way to make it faster and responsive, lose all of those YUI stuff, ancient css hacks etc, and still not be vbulletin 5... I'll be getting 4.2.3 installed to retain facebook compatibility in april, but I'm looking forward for a gold release of IPS.

Most of our mods do indeed respect the jQuery loading settings in the ACP (local, remote, custom) :)

As this has been addressed I'll close this ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back