Theme on vBShout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

Hi!

I´m interested in installing your product on a new site I´m building.

I´ve just purchased and installed a theme for my forum and I´d like to know if the theme will also impact the Shout Box.

Another question: Can I use the same product on different pages with different chatrooms? I mean, in a page about Game 1, I want the chat to have a default room about Game 1, and in page dedicated to Game 2, I want a chat room to be dedicated to that other game.

Look forward to your answer!

Thanks!

The theme should work fine with the shoutbox assuming the theme maker followed vBulletin Standards. That being said, I would strongly recommend you do not use vBulletin 5 for a new site. vB5 is not suitable for any forum that wishes to customise the forum beyond the standard theme and the standard functionality.

I would recommend going with vB4 or XenForo instead.

The Shoutbox functionality you want could possibly be achieved by using separate Shoutbox instances and adding those to separate pages, but you wouldn’t be able to have both as chat rooms in a single instance.

Thanks for your answer.

I was planning on buying it with the installation included.

Since my forum is vb5, will installing the chat on my site be a problem?

Regards,

Installing it (probably) won't be a problem, just make sure you're aware of the missing features compared to the vB4 version, and the fact that the product is not in active development due to how poor a platform vB5 is.

If you want further evidence of the fact that vB5 is an extremely poor platform, you need look no further than vBulletin.org - there's still less than 80 mods available for vB5, even though it's been out for what, 5+ years now?

I just want to make sure you're entirely aware of these facts before buying any of our vB5 products :)

Thanks a lot for your answer and advice regarding the version. Actually, I bought and installed vb5 already. Newbie as I am, I thought that a newer version would be better. Apparently, based on many people's comments, that isn't the case. Have no clue how to go back to vb4, so I guess I'm stucked with vb5. What are the main differences between the shoutbox for vb5 and the one for vb4? What are the missing features on vb5?

See this page: https://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/product/208-vbshout-vb5-beta/

Click the Feature List tab and scroll down to "Missing Features List" :)

To revert to vB4, you would download it from your client area and start your database from scratch - you cannot downgrade from vB5 to vB4 so you would have to completely reinstall your forum. If your site hasn't been launched yet, it would be worth it to do so as you gain a lot of opportunity to customise your site from over a decade worth of work from addon authors such as ourselves.

Last edited:
Ok, you convinced me. I'm installing vb4. When I'm done I'll buy the chat and you can install it then.
Talk more soon.

Sounds good :)

Normally we'd charge $30 for a professional installation (it's an add-on to the product itself, purchased from the product page) but since you've already incurred some expenses for your vB5 forum which are now sunk, I think we can waive that pro installation fee this time :)

If you purchase the vBShout mod without Pro Install and then PM me with FTP and AdminCP information once the purchase is completed, I'll install it for you free of charge.

Whooho! Thank you so much!
Installing skin on vBulletin 4 now.
Let me buy the shoutbox when I'm done configuring this.
Look for my Pm soon ;)

Hello Abraxas,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Answered.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back