Bug Question about database table size for a product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino

Customer
I am being asked by my host to work on improving my database performance and the suggestion was begin by looking at the database size. One of the single biggest tables I see from the maintenance optimize window is associated with vbActivity points. It seems strange to be as large as it is considering most other dbtech tables are much smaller.
Table Data Length Index Length Overhead
dbtech_vbactivity_pointslog 57.58 MB 95.16 MB 12.00 MB

Would this seem odd to you for a site with 1200 users?

I have not done an optimize on it and wanted to ask if it is approved or recommended. I am getting a lot of pressure from my host to get things with my site squared away with performance issues. I would like to get a full backup of the vbulletin database before proceeding with mass table optimizations but I am unsure if my myPHP export of the database has completed successfully. I have googled to find a rock solid method without solid results, if you can recommend a backup method or link to a how to guide it would be greatly appreciated. If I can pay for your services to log onto my site and upgrade my dragonbyte apps (i have paid for lifetime upgrades) and also look after my database optimization for me please let me know what you would charge for your time to do so.

Thanks,
Joe D.

No, that seems perfectly normal. To reduce the size of that table, turn off the "Points for Days Registered" then run the maintenance action to recalculate points. Your users may lose some points, but the database table will have a reduced size.

Also, if your host complains about the size of your database tables, get a new host. The only reason why they would do this is if they are vastly overselling their servers (overselling being the art of selling more resources on each server than is available, because not all of their clients will use all of the resources they pay for).

Hello Dino,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Not A Bug.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBActivity & Awards

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings